There’s never been a more exciting time to work for General Motors.
To achieve our vision of a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion, we need people to join us who are passionate about creating safer, better and more sustainable ways for people to get around. This bold vision won’t happen overnight, but just as we transformed how the world moved in the last century, we are committed to transforming how we move today and in the future.
Why Work for Us
Our culture is focused on building inclusive teams, where differences and unique perspectives are embraced so you can contribute to your fullest potential as you pursue your career. Our locations feature a variety of work environments, including open work spaces and virtual connection platforms to inspire productivity and flexible collaboration. And we are proud to support our employees volunteer interests, and make it a priority to join together in efforts that give back to our communities.
GPI (Global Product Interface) Compartment Manufacturing Engineer (CME)
Responsible for ensuring new vehicle product designs are manufacturable as well as in compliance to manufacturing requirements and General Assembly strategies. Provides a consistent voice of Manufacturing to Product Engineering for a given global architecture/style.
In this job you will represent Manufacturing while interfacing with Product Engineering and the program team. You will review designs and assess the assembly methods of these designs to ensure they drive common processes and meet Manufacturing requirements while ensure you push to minimize the labor and complexity impact. You will have to understand the overall impact to GM and make the best enterprise decision and help set the direction for that program. You will be attending many meetings with Product engineering and be the voice for manufacturing. You will also have to conduct and assess dynamic and static studies, virtual reality reviews when required, process virtual builds, assess ergonomic impacts, support prototype builds and many others to ensure designs meet manufacturing requirements and buildable designs.
- Understand product design and communicate manufacturing requirements to product engineering.
- Communicate product info & requirements to Arch Leads and Program Execution
- Enforce compliance to General Assembly Strategies
- Execute & Verify Vehicle Manufacturing Requirements
- Follow the Advanced Program Health Check (APHC) process for issue tracking and escalation
- Resolve issues with Product Engineering and Global Manufacturing Engineering
- Escalate deviations at Leadership Calls
- Conduct virtual studies/assessments throughout Vehicle Development Process
- Initiate / Conduct program Level 2 PFMEA workshops
- Participate in product peer reviews (ePeer Process)
- Document process & tooling requirements for regional execution and ensure compliance by all executing assembly plants
- Drive product designs with the lowest Base Engineered Content (BEC) and participate in BEC reduction workshops
- Communicate Lessons Learned to Global Integration Architects (Product TIE’s) and Technical Process TIEs
- Develop & communicate program compartment level 2 build sequence
- Identify and communicate potential ergo issues to program ergonomist
- Attend IVER builds (mandatory) and Assembly Plant builds (as required)
- Act as IRT co-chair during IVER builds at PPO
- Act as the Global IRT co-chair and drive common solutions across the regions
Required Skills, Abilities and Experiences:
- Bachelor's Degree in Engineering or Equivalent Experience
- Independent and self-motivated
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written)
- Ability to make complex concepts/issues easily understood by non-proficient English-speaking peers
- Strong VIS Mockup skills
- ME Experience (Program Execution or Assembly Plant)
- Knowledge of VS Manufacturing Engineering processes and GM Systems, including MPS, VAA, ECR, Auros, FIT, GLP, VDP, PRTS, and LMS.
The goal of the General Motors total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan incudes, the following benefits, in addition to many others:
- Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and parental leave for mothers, fathers and adoptive parents;
- Healthcare (including a triple tax advantaged health savings account and wellness incentive), dental, vision and life insurance plans to cover you and your family;
- Company and matching contributions to 401K savings plan to help you save for retirement;
- Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values;
- Tuition assistance and student loan refinancing;
- Discount on GM vehicles for you, your family and friends.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com . In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.