- ABET accredited Bachelor’s degree in civil or structural engineering.
- Professional Engineering license.
- 5 years of experience in structural design for industrial or commercial projects.
- Proficiency in building codes, regulations, and standard including IBC and ASCE.
Amazon Web Service (AWS) operates 53 Availability Zones (AZs) within 18 geographic Regions around the world, with announced plans for 12 more AZs and four more Regions, making AWS one of the fastest growing enterprise tech companies ever. Amazon’s AWS Data Centers (DC) are a major component of worldwide cloud-computing infrastructure and are industry leading examples of critical facilities.
Architects and Engineers in AWS work to design resilient, cost effective DC facilities. We are responsible for achieving a world class uptime for our customers and drive to develop a fleet of buildings emphasizing security, safety, efficiency, and cost effectiveness, while finding new ways to meet AWS’s growing demand. We justify and communicate the technical decisions we make to AWS leadership and work hard to drive continuous advancements in our designs. As an Architect/Engineer at AWS you will have the opportunity to impact changes in our current design, as well as establish design procedures and protocols for future systems.
The Architectural, Civil, and Structural (ACS) Design Team is responsible for the building/structure design of all Amazon DCs world-wide. The ACS Team is seeking a Structural Engineer to become part of our global ACS team. As a Structural Engineer at AWS you will be part of a highly creative and efficient design team comprised of Architects, Engineers and Designers tasked with solving problems and challenging the status quo. As a subject matter expert, you will have a direct impact on the design of prototypical DC facilities, provide technical guidance to team members, solve large scale implementation issues, and build a strong understanding of international architectural/structural design requirements.
The Structural Engineer will be responsible for the following:
- Work with the other design and engineering professionals on concepts and build projects.
- Create, review and release data center Architecture designs.
- Manage the portfolio of data center designs and features.
- Development and maintenance of ACS Basis of Design, prototype design, and template specifications for structural systems.
- Serve as a technical advisor for AWS DC design projects including; review of foundation and structural systems, evaluating superstructure design options, and assessing structural calculation assumptions.
- Create, review and release architectural/civil/structural design RFPs.
- Manage our external architectural/civil/structural design consultants.
- Coordinate with internal and external MEP design engineers.
- Lead initiatives aimed at improving cost, quality, schedule, and consistency.
- Work on multiple data center build and capital improvement projects simultaneously.
- Travel for site assessments, consultant selection activities, internal design meetings, construction review, interface with AHJs, design consultants, quantity surveyors, and building owners.
- Anticipated travel not to exceed 25%
- Master’s degree in civil or structural engineering.
- Plan for achieving Structural Engineering license within the coming 12 months.
- 8 years of Structural Engineering experience and 3 years directly related to DC or mission critical facility design.
- Detailed understanding of building construction, forensic analysis of building design and construction defects, and evaluating value engineering for building super structure.
- Direct experience with the design, construction, operation, or maintenance of DCs.
- Ability to effectively communicate design standards to internal and external project partners.
- Ability to manage multiple fast paced projects simultaneously.
- Ability to travel internationally
- Excellent communication skills, attention to detail, maintain high quality standards.
- Detailed understanding of tilt-up and precast concrete structures, structural steel systems, seismic design, wind loading, snow loading, and building forensic analysis.
- Experience completing designs and calculations for auxiliary framing systems used to support cable tray, conduit, ductwork, etc.
- Basic understanding of large scale mechanical and electrical system components and designs.
- Demonstrated ability to evaluate the constructability of new technologies, and determine construction methods of data center equipment and facilities.
- Perform and present business case analysis.
- Solid working proficient with AutoCAD, Revit, Bluebeam, and MS Office Suite.
- Motivated, dependable and capable of working with limited oversight.
- Ability and willingness to think outside of the box to find innovative solutions prior to and during the construction process to reduce costs without negative impacts on quality or reliability.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.