CDM Smith is looking to hire a full time Senior Geotechnical Engineer with expertise in geotechnical engineering and underground construction. As a member of our Geotechnical Team you could contribute to CDM Smith's mission by:
- Functioning as a technical specialist competent in design and construction works and experienced with the excavation support systems as well as construction of tunneling and underground works in various types of ground conditions.
- Possessing knowledge and expertise in bored and mined tunnels and underground construction works.
- Possessing experience in contract administration for tunneling works.
- Working in a team with other Resident Engineers and the Project Manager.
- Maintaining and controlling site records as required.
- Writing engineering reports, daily field reports and preparing contract documents
- Performing Site supervision/Inspection of construction works as the Owner’s Engineer to monitor and confirm work is carried out per specification/approved construction drawings and work plans
- Coordinating with individuals both within and external to CDM Smith including working with clients in the public and private sectors and on federal projects
- Bachelor's degree in Geotechnical, Civil, Mining or Geologic Engineering or related discipline. Professional engineering (PE) license.
- 7 years of related experience.
- Domestic and/or international travel may be required. The frequency of travel is contingent on specific duties, responsibilities, and the essential functions of the position, which may vary depending on workload and project demands.
Skills and Abilities
- Expert Knowledge of engineer principles of design.
- Expert Knowledge of Microsoft business software (excel, word, etc.).
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills.
- Expert knowledge of federal, state and local regulations.
- Master's degree in Civil Engineering, Geotechnical Engineering or Mining Engineering.
- Registered Professional Civil/Geotechnical Engineer in Illinois, Iowa or Texas.
- Experience in all types of subsurface explorations, laboratory testing, foundation engineering, analysis, engineering report writing, preparation of contract documents.
- Experience with large civil engineering projects for tunnels and underground infrastructure.
- Experience with water, wastewater conveyance or transportation projects with state, county and municipal agencies is preferred.
- Experience with staff management, project management and business development are a plus.
- (3) years of working experience in pipe jacking, micro tunneling, underground works, or tunneling in both rock and soft ground conditions.