Waterous Company has over 133 years of instilling confidence and trust within firefighters the world over. Waterous manufactures the most innovative pumps, hydrants and valves for the industries served. Our products are crucial components to the longstanding tradition of saving lives and protecting citizens.
Waterous Company offers a competitive compensation (including a quarterly incentive) and a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, life, vacation, 401K, tuition reimbursement, STD/LTD, AD&D and more.
Invent, design, and develop new products and improve designs of pump and transmission products in production. Plan, control, and implement all activities required to carry projects from initiation through to production release with major emphasis on analyzing designs and product testing to assure successful designs. Support other departments (Purchasing, Manufacturing, etc.) as needed to maintain design development, manufacture, sales, and service of existing products.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develop new and revised product ideas or applications through cooperation with Sales and Marketing in association with the Product Development Task Force involved. Prepare product requirements based on market/customer current and future needs.
- Define product design concepts to fit needs using engineering models, sketches, and written descriptions; analyze product concepts in terms of features, function, performance, reliability, maintainability, cost, and product worthiness; and participate with other project team members to select those which merit further consideration.
- Complete detailed product design by preparing/directing models and layouts and completing engineering calculations necessary to assure that the product design conforms to product function, performance, cost, life, and other design requirements.
- Develop, evaluate, and prove product designs by specifying and conducting meaningful tests, and recording, analyzing and reporting results of the development, test, and evaluation activity.
- Provide information for, direct, and assist the preparation of final design documentation required for the Engineering release of product designs to production.
- Provide technical support to Sales, Service, Purchasing and Manufacturing when needed for product revisions, and define, analyze, and implement solutions to product problems, which develop when placed in service and throughout the life of the product.
- Prepare and implement project plan as needed to direct, coordinate, and control activities of an engineering project in a manner that results in efficient development of products from design concept through release to production.
- Provide continuation engineering to include revisions to current product lines. e.g. changes due to customer request, performance, or ability to manufacture; support of Sales, Service, Manufacturing, and Purchasing, participation in decisions on quality issues and feasibility.
- Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering (or related technology field).
- 3 - 5 years experience in product design, development, and continuation engineering support, preferably in a manufacturing environment.
- Comprehensive understanding of core engineering fundamentals including engineering mechanics, fluid mechanics, machine design, thermodynamics, and strength of materials.
- Professional Engineering (PE) license preferred, or ability to obtain one.
- Working knowledge/experience with technical software utilizing solid modeling and drafting. SolidWorks environment is preferred, or ability to become proficient.
- Familiarity and experience with FEA and CFD engineering software tools to carryout design and analysis.
- Understanding of CAM software tools for prototype design preferred
- Experience with test instrumentation/data acquisition systems used for product development and design verification. Working knowledge of data analysis tools such as LabView, OriginPro, and Excel a plus.
- Experience with electro-mechanical product design and/or machine controls a plus.
- Project management experience a plus.
- Direct and work with shop floor personnel for specific product development or continuation engineering projects.
- Must have the ability to work on the shop floor at times and in close proximity to operating equipment. Some outdoor work may be required and at elevated heights (up to 30 feet).
EOE - Minority/Female/Veteran/Disability