Are you ready to immerse yourself in the world of innovative, design-forward engineering? Do you understand the challenges of designing top-tier cycling products? Are you excited to develop the best products to bring to our riders? If you answered 'yes' to these questions then we want to talk to you!
We are searching for an Associate Composite Development Engineer to join our rider-focused engineering team and create the next game-changing products for our riders! Our engineering teams collaborate with product managers, test labs, and factories around the globe to develop meaningful and innovative products that inspire cyclists and the industry as a whole. As an associate composite engineer, you will gain a comprehensive understanding of complex bike systems, the manufacturing processes that go into making them, and the analytical/hands on skills to fabricate our next generation product.
To understand the numerous challenges faced when bringing a top tier product to market, you will rotate through various engineering teams at Specialized in your first two years. This rotation will start in the Test Lab where you will set up and execute tests that will teach you the physics behind bicycles. The composite/machine shop is the next stop where you will continue to be hands on, laying up parts and machining jobs for then engineering department. The associate program will take you to Asia for 3 months, where you will work alongside our Asian counterparts, and manufacturing partners. This will provide you insight into global production challenges and provide you with hands-on manufacturing experience.
HOW YOU WILL MAKE A DIFFERENCE:
- Engineer meaningful and innovative products that inspire cyclists & lead the industry.
- Collaborate with engineers, designers, fabrication shop, and test lab to bring ideas to life.
- Travel internationally to our factories in Asia to ensure the highest quality products.
Product Testing & Approval:
- Teaming up with design engineers, you will take responsibility for the layup of new projects from concept thru production and all phases in between.
- Be the contact for all factory facing communication of design direction and changes.
- Track all layup development and testing of your projects.
- Work with project management to ensure that all project milestones are delivered on time for first production starts.
- Analysis as needed of new designs.
- Work closely with our factories to get all required tooling made and functioning properly.
- Get prototypes made and into testing phases (lab testing and field testing).
- Create test plans for all products and be responsible for making sure all products are thoroughly and completely tested in our labs.
- Iterate products thru design changes until all testing is passed in our labs.
- Make sure all documentation is complete for your projects.
- Setup and conduct lab tests. Document results.
- Research and design new tests as needed.
Engineering Team Continuous Improvement:
- Work with factories, manufacturing & quality engineers to get your products ready for production.
- Ensure tooling is correct and that tooling produces parts that meet our standards and tolerances.
- Conduct pilot runs as needed with factories to prove out production readiness.
- Responsible for successful 1st production start-up of your new products.
- Work with engineering team to improve & document new processes and make our engineering team stronger.
- Work on finding root causes of field return problems &/or manufacturing issues and suggest product improvements.
- Check & troubleshoot fit and function of prototype products.
- Perform other duties as required.
WHAT YOU NEED TO WIN
- Bachelor's degree in Aerospace, Mechanical or Manufacturing Engineering.
- Hands on machine shop skills using lathe, mill, welder, and other machine shop equipment.
- Experience with solid modeling CAD software
- Avid cyclist and bike mechanic
- Good verbal and written communication skills are very important working in our fast paced environment.
- Pro Engineer (Creo) skill and experience: Pro Engineer (Creo) is our standard at Specialized.
- Mechanica/FEA, Labview, Matlab are desirable.
- Experience in carbon fiber manufacturing.
- Machine shop fabrication skills including: Milling, turning, and welding.
First and foremost, we are riders. We share the core belief that bikes change lives. From product development and operations, to finance and marketing - every role at Specialized contributes to a culture of sustainable, global growth and innovation. We are always looking for passionate people to join the team who are interested in learning and growing far above the scope of the position. You'll be challenged in many different ways and have a tremendous amount of opportunity. All with an eye towards growing people and expanding careers.
You'll be working alongside a passionate, driven team and there are some great benefits including daily lunch rides, onsite yoga classes, and all of the bagels your heart desires on Friday mornings. Come ride with us!
See what we are up to on LinkedIn ( https://www.linkedin.com/company/specialized-bicycle-components/ ), Instagram ( https://www.instagram.com/iamspecialized/?hl=en ), and most importantly, our #DogsofSpecialized ( https://www.instagram.com/explore/tags/dogsofspecialized/?hl=en ).