ASSET, a Columbia-based, technology start-up seeks a Software Developer to join in the creation of infrastructure for its initial flagship product. The infrastructure includes user interfaces, web service backends, and sensor hardware. The Developer will work with a suite of signal processing and machine learning algorithms analyzing vibrations in a building’s flooring to extract insights about the occupants. Insights such as detecting an older adult falling, predicting oncoming health changes, or simply locating a person without the need for cameras. That’s what the team at ASSET is creating. We want you to help take the vision to reality.
ASSET originated as the result of six years of research into automatic detection of human falls through user-independent, smart homes by an interdisciplinary team of engineers and medical doctors. During the research years, the original team was backed by organizations including the Alzheimer's Association, the National Science Foundation, the University of South Carolina, and the Veteran's Administration Hospital System.
Our journey began as a civil engineering freshman student, a professor, and a medical doctor looked to develop a technique that gave any building a way to "feel" when a person tumbled over. Then, in collaboration with Intel's Rapid Prototyping Team, a new sensor platform was developed, and the team set out to record real world falls to validate the technique. What they discovered would instead open up a new way to locate activity anywhere in or on a structure.
Fast forward to the present where ASSET has continued the culture of discovery and nurtured strong relationships with universities. We continue to research core knowledge in collaboration with universities and turn that knowledge into products that provide intelligent infrastructure solutions for everyday use. This allows us to provide superior solutions to any challenge.
We require these minimum qualifications for the role, so you don’t get in too far over your head.
- Bachelor’s Degree in software engineering, computer science, or similar; equivalent work experience is also acceptable; those graduating by May 2022 may also apply
- Programming experience, 2yr
- Python 3.x experience, 1yr
This position’s work will incorporate various aspects, including the following. Experience in these areas is a plus.
- Django framework familiarity
- Kivy framework familiarity
- Falcon Framework familiarity
- REST API familiarity
- Git familiarity
- PostgreSQL familiarity
- Experience with distributed sensor systems and web services, 1yr
- Experience with database design, 1yr
- Experience with Linux, 1yr
- Experience with research and development of new products/services, 1yr
This position offers the following:
- Full Time (40hr/wk)
- Hybrid work with flexible schedule
- Compensation based on experience and qualifications
Job Types: Full-time, Contract
Pay: $20.00 - $32.00 per hour
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Columbia, SC: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Required)
- Python: 1 year (Preferred)
- HTML5: 1 year (Preferred)
- CSS: 1 year (Preferred)
- PostgreSQL: 1 year (Preferred)
- Web services: 1 year (Preferred)
- Sensors: 1 year (Preferred)
Work Location: Multiple Locations