Alkahest is a clinical stage biopharmaceutical company targeting neurodegenerative and age-related diseases with transformative therapies derived from a deep understanding of the plasma proteome in aging and disease.
The Scientific Application Engineer will report to the Senior Data Architect and will provide primary design and development for applications used by the Alkahest pre-clinical scientific community. These applications will involve working closely with researchers doing cutting edge science and the efforts of this role will be pivotal in advancing our therapeutic capabilities.
The role requires dedication, flexibility, excellent communication and organization to successfully drive the science and achieve Alkahest’s corporate mission.
Alkahest offers a competitive compensation and benefits package, annual bonus potential, opportunities for career growth and development, and a work environment that is collaborative, collegial and lots of fun.
- Serve as the primary touchpoint between informatics and research regarding process and data handling requirements.
- Develop custom applications and/or extensions to third-party products enabling scientists to record and access their experimental data
- Manage third-party and in-house scientific applications.
- Collaborate with other members of the Informatics group to determine the overall Alkahest SDMS strategy.
- Develop new and utilize existing data integration endpoints to ensure data accuracy and availability at each step of processing.
- Engage external resources to apply cutting edge methodologies and ensure recognition in the scientific community including publications
Other responsibilities as assigned
- Bachelor’s or higher in Bioinformatics, Computer Science, or related field
- Significant experience (4+ years) working with multiple types of biological data and computational environments
- Demonstrated knowledge of bioinformatics principles, tools, and databases
- Demonstrated software development skills in C++, Scala or other
- Demonstrated ability to develop and use APIs
- Demonstrated scripting skills in Python and/or R.
- Significant experience working on the command line using BASH
- Web development skills in frameworks such as Django, Play or Shiny
- Application development experience in a scientific environment
- Experience modeling and implementing scientific data in a relational database such as PostgreSQL or Oracle
- Experience with Laboratory Information Management Systems a big plus
- Strong team spirit but also the ability to self-motivate and work independently
- Creative problem solver with the ability to operate in a wide dynamic range of possibilities and uncertainty
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills Must feel comfortable bridging scientists’ needs with informatics
- Strong attention to detail and excellent organizational skills
- Experience with Mass Spectrometry and/or single-cell RNA sequencing data analysis a significant plus
- Comfortable working in a multi-tasked, fast-paced startup environment
Job Type: Full-time