General Assembly Battery Line Engineer
Reporting to the General Assembly Engineering Manager the General Assembly Battery Line Engineer will take a lead role in the standardization of all general assembly activities pertaining to the battery pack assembly process. The person in this position will benchmark the industry and develop detailed standards for electric vehicle battery pack assembly equipment and processes. They will be responsible for design, development, testing, installation, and support of electro-mechanical tools, equipment, and process used to manufacture the battery packs, in the general assembly shop area. A considerable amount of creativity, initiative, and a high level of independent judgement is required to successfully accomplish job duties.
- Manage the development of a battery pack manufacturing process for mass production line.
- Conducting research and development work for new and existing production lines to improve pack assembly processes on safety, quality and productivity.
- Line setup and evaluation of performance of manufacturing equipment.
- Develop and analyze operating procedures and functions of equipment and machinery to reduce time and cost of assembly manufacturing processes.
- Provide engineering support to pack assembly and installation.
- Work with team members to increase understanding of failure modes, performance and life expectancy of pack assembly.
- Provide systems controlling and engineering support for electric vehicle battery production.
- Define requirements and support battery production visualization application.
- Ensure effective technical fault tracking and consult with production team.
- Perform production counts and collect buffer information.
- Monitor takt / cycle times in the battery production process.
- Manage production scheduling and assembly line scheduling.
- Create online visualizations of production / assembly of battery systems.
- Act as the central point of contact for system functionality issues and technology.
- Evaluation and assessment of battery tests as well as development of new test concepts for battery pack systems.
- Develop constructive suggestions for the optimum scheduling of battery production for the assembly line regarding cycle-time and process improvements.
- Carry out fault elimination processes and perform detailed analysis in the event of assembly and quality problems.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Bachelor of Science degree in Mechanical, Electrical, or a related engineering discipline OR the equivalent combination of education and / or years of valuable experience.
- Experience including internship or curricular training in assembly manufacturing environment or lithium-ion battery pack assembly production.
- Experience with root cause analysis, defect reduction, and failure analysis.
- Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc).
- Strong verbal and written communication skills to facilitate successful interactions with team members and management.
- Minimum of (5) five years of automotive experience, particularly within a production support role.
- Strong knowledge of electric vehicle engineering and design requirements.
- Experience with automation/robotic system development.
- Strong data analysis skills with tools such as JMP, Minitab, Python, MATLAB, are highly desired.
- Proficiency in AutoCAD.
- Familiarity with Allen-Bradley PLC and network communications in automotive manufacturing.
- Experience interfacing to databases, information management and reporting applications used for MES/SCADA systems is preferred.
- Prior experience setting the direction for electric vehicles powertrain systems and components from Electrical, Mechanical, and software perspectives.