Title: Research Engineer
Organization: Narrows Institute for Biomedical Research to Support the VISN 2 Gait and Motion Analysis Laboratory
Location: Dept. of Veterans Affairs, New York Harbor Healthcare System, New York, NY, USA
The Narrows Institute for Biomedical Research is seeking a Research Engineer to support the VISN 2 Gait and Motion Analysis Laboratory, located at the Department of Veterans Affairs New York Harbor Healthcare System. The successful research engineer will be primarily involved in an exciting prosthetics-based research project. She/he will contribute to the success of this project through multi-disciplinary responsibilities, but will have a primary focus on collecting/analyzing gait biomechanics and functional outcomes. Additionally, the research engineer will be involved with several other ongoing and planned projects.
This is a term-position based on grant funding availability.
JOB START DATE
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Conduct research under the direction of the Director of the Gait and Motion Analysis Laboratory.
- Manage all aspects of projects from inception through manuscript preparation.
- Recruit, screen, evaluate, and enroll potential patients for inclusion in IRB approved protocols.
- Perform data collection using multidisciplinary instrumentation for motor performance, including motion capture, force plates, metabolic instrumentation, and electromyography (EMG).
- Maintain all laboratory equipment (motion capture cameras, force plates, EMG, metabolic cart, treadmill, etc.), set up and troubleshoot equipment, coordinate laboratory calendar, and train new lab members and collaborators on equipment use and laboratory procedures.
- Process and analyze experimental data through motion capture software and Matlab.
- Coordinate research projects and manage the timing of several concurrent projects using project management skills.
- Apply basic statistical knowledge; understand, interpret, and describe complex data by preparing graphs and tables.
- Write and maintain laboratory IRB protocols.
- Assist in the preparation and submission of funding applications.
- Prepare, review, and submit manuscripts and abstracts for publication.
- Master’s degree in engineering (mechanical or biomedical), or Bachelor’s with equivalent experience, is required.
- Experience in an engineering or other biomechanics/movement science related field, as well as knowledge of the theories, principles, practices, and techniques of biomechanics. Research experience in a gait and motion lab is preferred.
- Knowledge of motion analysis data acquisition and processing.
- Proficiency in Matlab programming is required, including the ability to create custom code for data analysis. Be prepared to demonstrate Matlab programming proficiencies.
- Must be a problem-solver, have excellent critical thinking ability, and great interpersonal skills.
- Must be adaptable to unexpected changes and possess strong organizational, interpersonal, verbal, and technical writing skills.
- Self-starter with willingness to make decisions independently and solve problems creatively within job scope.
- Ability to manage and complete multiple projects simultaneously while working under occasionally stressful conditions.
- Ability to handle confidential/sensitive information and exercise good professional judgment.
- Uphold the VA Core Values and be a strong ambassador for the agency.
Salary is compensatory with experience.
To apply, applicants must submit the following:
- A cover letter detailing the above qualifications. Applications without a cover letter will not be considered.
- A curriculum vitae with a focus on relevant work experience, record of peer reviewed publications and grants, laboratory work experience, instrumentation proficiency, and programming capabilities.
Following our internal selection process, only qualified applicants will be contacted for a follow up interview. Letters of recommendation are not required or requested at this time. The application process and all associated communications will remain confidential.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $75,000.00 - $80,000.00 per year
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
COVID-19 precautions are in place and are detailed in the laboratory COVID-19 standard operating procedure guidelines. Additionally, approved facemasks must be worn in the medical center at all times.
- Engineering: 1 year (Preferred)