Location: Vancouver, BC, CA
With a strong history of innovation for over 100+ years, we are Canada’s largest diversified natural resource company looking to embark on our next chapter.
Being part of the RACE21™ team, you’ll be leading the charge of a company-wide renewal of technology and infrastructure – a high-tech transformation of mining into the next generation.
With the financial backing and commitment from our leadership, we envision a fully-integrated agile digital platform that will:
- Renew, Automate, and Connect material, processes, equipment flows, and data systems to expand and enable a broad application of advanced analytics, robotics, and artificial intelligence
- Empower our employees by investing in digital skills and capabilities to enhance creativity and innovation – increasing sustainability, safety, and performance in real time, unlocking resource base knowledge and improving planning for optimal resource extraction
We are world-class leaders in sustainability and safety – and we are building a better world for the next generation with lasting competitive advantages, from 2021 and beyond.
Reporting to the Manager of Technology, the Technical Lead/Architect - RACE21™ owns the architectural decisions for the team. They value simplicity and are not afraid to challenge technical constraints and procedures to achieve agile design. The Solution Architect works closely with the rest of the team to create a modular & scalable solution that addresses future architectural changes and designs. They drive the teams engineering practices in test driven development, continuous integration, and automated deployment. A good agile architect is keen to get their hands dirty, and actively helps the team to solve the biggest problems. Last but not least, this individual is an executor as well as the visionary force behind the technical solution.
There are multiple positions for Technical Lead/Architect.
- Be a courageous safety leader, adhere to and sponsor safety and environmental rules and procedures
- Designs the overall technological architecture of the product
- Guides project teams on technology strategy
- Responsible for the technical design of the product
- Mentors and coaches the developer team, specifically with code reviews
- Engages in coding to help the team to develop their solution and solve all surfacing problems at hand. Identifies and removes technical impediments
- Works with Product Owner to align the roadmap with strengths and opportunities within the technical teams
- Constantly looking for better ways of solving technical problems and designing the solution, not afraid of challenging the status quo.
- Provides the team a roadmap for implementing software engineering practices for higher code quality
- Shares responsibility with Product Owner for building reusable and scalable components
- Ability to travel 20-40%
- Seen as an expert within the technical components of the domains/products/journeys
- Seasoned developer or technical lead with deep insight into newest technologies and trends
- Can make architecture decisions at a team and product level
- Experience working on projects that span multiple organizations and business units Agile Experience
- Experience in Agile Development, with specific Solution Architect (or similar) experience preferred
- Understands relationship with Product Owner, Designers and rest of pod
- Experience managing technical priorities within the backlog
- Strong communication skills with ability align organization on complex technical decisions
- Active coach and mentor whose goal is to grow and maximize the team’s potential
- High energy and passionate individual who inspires teammates to reach their maximum potential
- Excited about trying new solutions outside standard approved
- Embraces a culture of trust and complete transparency
- Promotes free thought is energized by ideas from others in team
- Brave and rebellious, willing to challenge status quo
At Teck, we value diversity. Our teams work collaboratively and respect each person’s unique perspective and contribution.
Qualified applicants interested in joining a dynamic team are encouraged to submit a resume and cover letter electronically. We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Your application to this posting is deemed to be your consent to the collection, use and necessary disclosure of personal information for the purposes of recruitment. Teck respects the privacy of all applicants and the confidentiality of personal information.
Teck is a diversified resource company committed to responsible mining and mineral development with major business units focused on copper, steelmaking coal, zinc and energy. Headquartered in Vancouver, Canada, its shares are listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbols TECK.A and TECK.B and the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol TECK.
The pursuit of sustainability guides Teck’s approach to business. Teck is building partnerships and capacity to confront sustainability challenges within the regions in which it operates and at the global level. In 2019, Teck was named to the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index (DJSI) for the tenth straight year, indicating that Teck’s sustainability practices rank in the top 10 per cent of the world’s 2,500 largest public companies in the S&P Global Broad Market Index.
Learn more about Teck at www.teck.com or follow @TeckResources
Job Type: Full-time