The Pistol Design Engineer provides engineering support and leadership for firearm product development; researching and developing ideas for new products and existing product lines, relating to the pistol and handgun platform. This position reports directly to the Director of Engineering. As part of the product development team, the Design Engineer is responsible for using their knowledge of firearm operation and function to develop new innovative product – all while maintaining a budget and schedule.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Create new or improved designs based on product specifications, market input, cost targets and development timelines.
- Use Solidworks to create models and drawings of product.
- Designing test procedures and reports to evaluate and qualify designs.
- Build and conduct testing on engineering prototypes.
- Work with potential vendors to achieve best design for manufacture.
- Support production in initial manufacturing ramp up of new product.
- Offer design support of the product once it enters production.
- Organize and maintain existing engineering records.
- Work interdepartmentally to continually improve operations and grow our business.
- All other duties, as assigned
- Bachelor’s Degree in Industrial Design, Mechanical Engineering or related field.
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- 3-5 years of design engineering experience; firearm development experience of pistol and handguns
- Hand gauge experience: Calipers, Micrometers, Height Stands.
- Good knowledge of Solidworks and/or other 3D CAD software
- Good understanding of design for manufacturing for vast manufacturing methods; polymer injection molding, metal injection molding, machining, stamping, spring, etc.
- Good understanding of GD&T principles.
- Good understanding of performing tolerance stack analyses.
- Ability to communicate effectively with executive management and work group.
- Proficient skills with computers, Excel and Outlook required.
- Strong organizational, analytical and problem-solving skills; looks for continuous improvement and implementation.
- Sound decision-making abilities and takes responsibility.
- Must be willing to learn, improve, adapt and be flexible.
- Be personally energetic, positive, and able to think laterally to follow through with reasoned decision making.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including effective communication both orally and written.
- Positive attitude, goal driven, and focused on the overall strategic picture of the organization.
- Required to maintain confidentiality
Work is performed in a high-volume manufacturing environment, working with chemicals, and handling with both manual and automated equipment and systems; and will involve working in a typical office environment. Specific job assignments may require day, evening, weekend or holiday hours. Overtime may be required.
Team members are constantly standing, walking, carrying, pulling/pushing, bending, seeing, kneeling, stooping, reaching, hearing, as well as handing paperwork, and computer and phone usage. Team members will be lifting objects weighing 50 lbs. or less regularly. Cleaning material and chemicals used regularly.