The NYC Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) enriches the environment and protects public health for all New Yorkers by providing 1.1 billion gallons of high quality drinking water, managing wastewater and storm water, and reducing air, noise, and hazardous materials pollution. DEP is the largest combined municipal water and wastewater utility in the country, with nearly 6,000 employees. DEP's water supply system is comprised of 19 reservoirs and 3 controlled lakes throughout the system’s 2,000 square mile watershed that extends 125 miles north and west of the City.
The Bureau of Water & Sewer Operations (BWSO) seeks to hire two Assistant Environmental Engineers for the Division of Connections. Under direct supervision, with little latitude for independent judgment, the selected candidates will perform engineering work of moderate difficulty and responsibility, but will not be limited to the following:
- Reviews Applications/Plans and Exemption Letters for Backflow Prevention (BFP) Assemblies within dully specific period.
- Inspects initial/Annual Test reports for compliance with approved plans within a duly specified time frame. Maintain detailed and accurate records of inspections and reports in database.
- Participates in meeting with the Design Engineer regarding BFP Application/Plan/ Documents. Coordinate with the cross connection unit to run the unit professionally
- Develop detailed knowledge of all application and permit procedures related to water and sewer connections and installations. Prepares oral and written reports as required.
- Engages in studies, investigation or examinations related to the engineering functions or activities of the department, including the Planning & Permitting.
Assistant Engineer should be thoroughly familiar with BFP application procedures required of the Professional Engineer, licensed plumbers or contractors, permits issued by the Department of Transportation and DEP’s Bureau of Customer Service (BCS), and be able to perform tasks with minimum direction and supervision.
***ALL CANDIDATES MUST EITHER BE PERMANENT IN THE TITLE OF ASSISTANT ENVIRONMENTAL ENGINEER, OR MUST HAVE FILED FOR THE CIVIL SERVICE EXAM FOR ASSISTANT ENVIRONMENTAL ENGINEER TO BE CONSIDERED***
Minimum Qual Requirements
1. A baccalaureate degree in environmental, chemical, mechanical, petroleum, aeronautical, or materials engineering from an accredited college or university and one year of full-time satisfactory experience in environmental engineering work; or
2. A baccalaureate degree in environmental, chemical, mechanical, petroleum, aeronautical, or materials
engineering from an accredited college and master’s degree in environmental engineering from an accredited college.
A master's degree in environmental engineering from an accredited college can only be used to substitute for one year of full-time satisfactory work experience in environmental engineering.
- Excellent communication skills, ability to maintain professional demeanor when interacting with Professional Engineer, licensed plumbers and other City Agencies;
- Aptitude in reviewing and interpreting engineering drawings, plans, and specifications;
- Represent DEP during talks to Engineer, Plumber, tenants, community members and/or elected officials
Appointments are subject to OMB approval.
For additional information about DEP, visit www.nyc.gov/dep
DEP is an equal opportunity employer with a strong commitment to the diversity of our organization and workforce. Your voluntary response to the NYCAPS on-line application section for referral information will assist us tremendously in our ability to track the success of our outreach and recruitment efforts. Please be sure to indicate your source of referral to this job.
This position is open to qualified persons with a disability who are eligible for the 55-a Program and also meet the education and experience requirements as listed in the job posting notice. Please indicate on your resume or cover letter that you would like to be considered for the position under the 55-a Program. This position is also open to non 55-a Program candidates who meet the education and experience requirements as listed in the job posting notice.
Click the "Apply Now" button.
New York City Residency is not required for this position