Responsible for innovating, designing, and modifying refrigeration systems and products, along with driving agency compliance and certifications necessary for product launch.
Salary position- DOE
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
This list of duties and responsibilities is not all inclusive and may be expanded to include other duties and responsibilities as management may deem necessary from time to time.
1. Energy Efficiency/New Technologies – Work on energy efficiency initiatives for Piper and R&D product lines.
2. Teaching / Mentoring –Help educate engineering staff on refrigeration design, and certification compliance for new and existing products.
3. Research – Using mathematical modeling to determine whether new developments and innovations would work and be cost effective.
4. Design – Turning research ideas into actual working plans to support and create marketable products.
5. Obtain timely and successful certification of new or revised products through certifying agency.
6. Leadership - Providing project leadership to engineering staff along with expertise and training to manufacturing and sales personnel.
7. Oversee DOE Compliance of products.
8. Identify cost reduction initiatives – Provide list of cost reduction projects that will improve manufacturing. Research alternative materials, suppliers and design, etc.
9. Process Improvements – Review current processes and provide recommendations to improve operational efficiencies, quality and reduce costs.
10. Manufacturing Support - Calculate & select necessary refrigeration components, document refrigeration assembly procedures, and provide wire diagrams and other assistance where needed.
11. Assist in writing/updating product specifications and operating manuals.
12. Reporting and communication – Writing and presenting regular progress reports for Operations and Executive Management staff.
13. Assist in development of product specifications.
14. Testing – Develop test methods to improve product reliability, performance, and manufacturability. Collecting and analyzing data from tests on prototypes.
15. Modifications - Modify new and existing products to improve costs and performance.
16. Completes special projects and other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
Educational requirements include a minimum of an Associates engineering degree, and preferably a bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering, with a minimum of 5+ years refrigeration design experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
A thorough understanding of manufacturing processes along with an appreciation of business demands is essential along with a general knowledge of NSF, UL, CSA, and ETL safety and performance requirements. Strong problem-solving skills and the ability to take a creative approach to generating new ideas are required. Heated and refrigerated food service equipment knowledge, and LabVIEW testing software knowledge are desired. Strong mechanical aptitude with a solid understanding of electrical components, refrigeration and extensive wiring experience are essential. Preferred experience in SolidWorks or an equivalent 3D design system. Must be proficient on PC and Microsoft Office products and be able to work independently and efficiently. Excellent communication skills are required, and time management and prioritization are crucial.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit; talk or hear; and use hands to finger, handle, or touch objects or controls. The employee is regularly required to stand and walk. On occasion the incumbent may be required to stoop, bend or reach above the shoulders.
The employee must occasionally lift up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
The position is primarily an office-based position with regular visits to the plant floor.
The above statements reflect the general details necessary to describe the principle functions of the occupation described and shall not be construed as a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be inherent in the occupation.
Job Type: Full-time
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Health savings account
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Referral program
- Retirement plan
- Vision insurance
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Wausau, WI 54401: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Preferred)
Work Location: One location