Research Associate – Molecular Biology/Metabolic Engineering
Biotii is a metabolic engineering company developing novel microbial technologies for the fermentative production of a range of biopharmaceutical and agricultural products. Biotii identifies expensive, environmentally hazardous, and harmful production processes used today and develops safe, renewable routes to the same products. Biotii is seeking to hire an experienced Research Associate to support its metabolic engineering needs to develop new microbial strains to efficiently produce a variety of products.
The successful applicant will work as part of a collaborative team to engineer microbial strains for improved production of bio-based chemicals. The position will involve the construction of combinatorial strain libraries, measurement and analysis of strain performance, and the development and application of assays to improve enzyme properties or interrogate cellular conditions. Research objectives are milestone driven.
· Work in close collaboration with the metabolic engineering team, ensuring team is able to efficiently and accurately test new strain engineering hypotheses.
· Construct DNA cassettes and generate genetically engineered microbes and then evaluate the engineered strains.
· Perform data analysis and engage in technical discussions and research planning.
· Develop new analytical assays and associated protocols for in-house use.
The candidate will work under the supervision of and report to strain engineering scientists. The candidate will also be expected to work collaboratively with the Biotii fermentation, downstream processing and analytical departments. The Biotii team works closely with all employees to support career development and facilitate the learning of new skill sets. Successful applicants may be expected to work up to 2 weekend days per month.
Education and Experience Requirements:
· Bachelor of Science or equivalent degree in molecular biology or biochemistry (or related field).
· 1+ year(s) in-lab molecular biology experience (academic or industrial).
· Experience with general lab procedures, sterile technique, data interpreting/reporting and be comfortable in a fast-paced, multitasking environment.
· Strong organization skills and proven ability to manage details.
· Energetic, creative, team player.
· Demonstrated technical proficiency, scientific creativity, and collaboration.
· Experience in a synthetic biology/metabolic engineering startup a plus.
Secondary Knowledge and Skill Considerations:
· Strong verbal and written communication skills.
· Ability to motivate team members and support a strong, healthy, collaborative laboratory culture.
· Ability to deliver on projects and assignments within timeframes.
· Experience engineering a range of microorganisms a plus.
Biotii offers a competitive total compensation packages.
Associated topics: bioinformatic, biology, biomechanics, biomedical engineer, bioprocessing, hereditary, metabolic, neuro, nutrition, therapeutic
Job Type: Full-time