“Together we are laying the groundwork for future generations to continue building upon,
so that our future can be as prosperous as our past.”
- Perry A. Hand, PE, PLS Chairman of the Board, Volkert, Inc. 2011-2019
Volkert, a Top 100 design firm, is committed to delivering the future of infrastructure in three key areas of service:
Planning + Environmental • Design + Engineering • Program + Construction Management
We are currently searching for a talented CEI Inspector I to support our East Gulf region in Birmingham, AL, Montgomery, AL Tuscaloosa, AL, or Daphne, AL.
Are we the road to your future?
The successful candidate will perform technical duties supporting engineers and other professionals in the administration of highway construction. Such areas include, construction inspection, project roadway/structure inspection, materials testing, project surveying, and program/regulatory compliance.
What you’ll be doing:
What you need to have:
- Inspection for compliance with contract documents, standards, and specifications
- Testing of materials; review of plans; analysis of engineering-related data; and construction survey/layout.
- Keeping daily diaries on project operations, resolves daily constructability issues and trouble shoots problems to mitigate delays to contractor’s progress
- Monitors contractor's daily operations and performs and/or reviews test reports to ensure that all work and materials conform to specifications, plans and contractual provisions. Also monitors utility relocation efforts by inspecting and tracking relocation work
- Documenting pay records, performing construction calculation, and computer/iPad entry
- Anticipates contractual problems and advises supervisor of the need for plan revisions, supplemental agreements, or other contract adjustments to improve safety, timely delivery and/or quality of delivered product.
- Effectively communicates and coordinates work with contractors, subcontractors, utility owners, and property owners to minimize delays and disturbances while maximizing progress of the projects.
- Perform acceptance testing of materials in a laboratory environment and inputs test results into various computer data bases.
- Associate's degree in an applicable area of Engineering Technology, Survey Technology or a related curriculum from an appropriately accredited institution is preferred
- 0-2 years of progressive inspection level experience or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Possess a valid driver's license and good driving record
- Ability to pass a drug test
- Must be able to perform moderate physical activity including but not limited to walking, climbing, balancing, kneeling, and standing.
- Must be able to lift 70 lbs.
- Must be able to work nights and weekends as required
- Must apply safety philosophy and program to all operations.
To be a successful Volkert CEI Inspector I, you must possess the following characteristics:
- Be a Brand Ambassador for the company who believes in diversity and inclusion
- Be self-motivated to meet individual goals and maintain accountability in a team environment
- Be able to multi-task in a team environment
- Exercise initiative and independent judgement in the solution of work problems
- Be able to communicate effectively-verbal and written
If you share our passion to serve clients, the public, our employees, constituents, and our profession, we invite you to apply!
Volkert does not accept unsolicited resumes from headhunters, recruitment agencies or fee-based recruitment services.