Viken Detection provides enabling security imaging and material identification solutions that help law enforcement and safety inspection professionals keep the public safe from drug trafficking, terrorism, and environmental hazardous threats. The company's innovative vehicle scanners, the OSPREY Portal™ series, and its handheld products, the HBl-120™, NIGHTHAWK-HBI™, FOXHOUND-HNA™ and Pb200i are the recognized leaders in their markets. Viken Detection is headquartered just west of Boston in Burlington, Massachusetts. For more information, visit
Principal Electrical Engineer
What you will do:
· Day to day activities include Design, debugging, and collaborating with teammates to develop highly integrated products
· Technologies include x-ray backscatter, Ion Mobility Spectrometry, X-Ray Fluorescence, and other detection technologies.
· Opportunities to travel to support customers and system installation
· Digital and analog design experience
· Schematic capture using OrCad Capture or similar tool
· Circuit board layout experience in support of layout designer
· FPGA design (Verilog preferred) and verification
· Electrical Engineering degree, either BS or MS
· Experience leading projects and resources
· 5+ years of Electrical Engineering experience
· Collaborate with a team to define, design, and ship new features.
· Support operations with component selection and substitution
· Support customer issues in the field
· Good communication and documentation skills
· Knowledge of handheld and wireless device standards
· Design of electronics for industrial environments
· Design of small, densely laid out electronic boards
· Design for manufacturability (DFM)
· Highly efficient power electronics design
· Understanding of circuit board design and layout techniques for signal integrity and electro-magnetic compliance.
· Analog design experience, particularly for low noise applications
· Product development expertise working with multiple disciplines such as software development, mechanical design, test engineering, and manufacturing.
· Experience with integrating and validating peripherals such as USB, Ethernet, 802.11, and Bluetooth
· Versed in Verilog or VHDL HDL with synthesis experience for FPGAs and CPLDs.
· Enjoys hands-on lab work testing and validating new hardware designs
· High voltage design experience preferred (< 10kV)
· FCC/CE Compliance experience preferred
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $120,000.00 - $130,000.00 per year
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Disability insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Please describe your level of FPGA experience.