Join a rapidly growing advanced emergency technology start-up in solving one of the greatest challenges of our generation:
What this role is about:
- Company: RapidSOS ( http://www.rapidsos.com ) is an advanced emergency technology company
- Challenge: Most emergencies globally are managed via 1960s analog tech (10,000+ fatalities ( https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2015/02/22/cellphone-911-lack-location-data/23570499/ ) in the US annually when 911 callers can't be located in time) – SeeJohn Oliver on the challenge ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-XlyB_QQYs )
- Markets: $100B+ spent annually to have data verbally relayed to 911/first responders via private call centers
- Customers/Partners: Apple, Google, Uber, Waze, Microsoft, etc.
- Tech: Integrated into 10k+ public safety software systems – RapidSOS provides a mission-critical voice & data platform for 250M Americans – managing ~150M emergencies annually
- Media: 1,500 news stories in 2018 including most major outlets (Apple Press Release ( https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2018/06/apple-ios-12-securely-and-automatically-shares-emergency-location-with-911/ ),TechCrunch ( https://techcrunch.com/2018/11/06/rapidsos-an-emergency-response-data-provider-raises-30m-as-it-grows-from-10k-users-to-250m/ )WSJ ( https://www.wsj.com/articles/startup-seeks-to-solve-911s-biggest-riddle-pinpointing-cellphone-callers-1493112780 ),CBS ( https://www.cbsnews.com/news/startup-rapidsos-aims-to-transform-911-calls/ ),Today Show ( https://www.today.com/money/new-uber-security-feature-connects-you-911-emergency-t129767 ),NYT ( https://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/01/business/smallbusiness/a-lifesaving-smartphone-app-inspired-by-a-brush-with-tragedy.html ), WIRED ( https://www.wired.com/story/apple-ios-12-911-feature-will-save-lives/ ), Time ( http://time.com/4470549/emergency-gadgets/ ), Fortune ( http://fortune.com/2018/06/18/apple-911-calls-rapidsos-cellphones/ ),Forbes 30U30 ( https://www.forbes.com/30-under-30-2017/healthcare/#221e4a254f78 ), etc.)
- Team: 85 people today (primarily engineering) - MIT, Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, Google, Oracle, Microsoft, Argonne & Oak Ridge National Labs, Bell Labs, venture capital, over 40 tech start-ups
- Investors: $70M of capital raised from preeminent global investors including several top VCs, Microsoft, andformer leadership ( https://rapidsos.com/about/?team#Advisors ) of Apple, AT&T, Verizon, Vodafone, Lucent, Raytheon, and three former FCC Chairmen
- Video: RapidSOS 3-Min Summary Video ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWW40iN47D0&t=32s )
We are looking for a talented software engineer to contribute to creating world-class emergency technology by building out and maintaining our complex backend. You help develop complex backend business logic, RESTful APIs and telephony applications, with a focus on system reliability, scalability and security. Rigorous use of unit and integration test methodologies for new and existing system capabilities will also be a key to success in this role.
What We Offer
- The chance to work with a passionate team on solving one of the largest challenges globally
- Competitive stipend
- Dynamic, fun work environment with a highly talented team
- Flexible startup work environment and a fun atmosphere
What We'd Like to See in Our Ideal Candidate
- Strong coding experience Python is required
- Solid understanding of software design principles
- Experience developing highly scalable cloud based service
- Excitement about creating a life-saving product with a fabulous team
- Solid understanding of asynchronous programming
- Experience in API development targeting Web based Applications
- Experience in development of highly-available cloud based services
- Experience with cloud-based services (AWS)
- Comfortable working on the command line in a GNU/Linux environment
- Familiarity with Jira/Git/GitHub
- Familiarity with Python Web Frameworks (AIOHTTP, Tornado, Flask)
- Familiarity with web stacks (HTML/CSS/JS/Ajax/Websockets etc)
- Experience in API development targeting Mobile Applications
If you're curious to learn more about RapidSOS, you can check out our full press list ( http://rapidsos.com/press/ )!
RapidSOS is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status.