- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, related degree, or equivalent experience
- 3+ years programming experience with at least one modern language such as Python, Ruby, Java, or C++
- 3+ years of industry experience focused on Linux, operating systems or containers
- Track record of working with agile development teams working on projects of significant complexity
- Proven ability to debug, troubleshoot, and resolve complex technical issues
Amazon Web Services is looking for a Systems Development Engineer to be part of new S3 efforts in Arlington, VA.
Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3) delivers storage for the Internet. It provides a simple web services interface that customers use to store and retrieve any amount of data, at any time, from anywhere on the web. It gives them access to the same highly scalable, reliable, secure, fast, inexpensive infrastructure that Amazon itself uses to run its own global network of web sites. We maximize benefits of our scale and pass them on to our customers. By doing this, we’re creating a fundamental shift in how businesses think about managing their storage needs.
As a Systems Development Engineer in the S3 Request Countermeasures team, you will drive key development projects for the S3 webservice software stack that handles millions of requests for customers running applications all over the world. You will work with peer engineers on the team to deliver automation software for systems that control handling of S3 API requests in real time to manage high-scale workloads. You will have opportunity to utilize technologies such as Java, Python, and Netty running on UNIX-flavored platforms. You will encounter challenges in the domains of machine learning and near-real time analytics to enable automated QoS controls to shape customer workloads and enable a consistent customer experience. You will code systems and services that allow rapid development to meet the fast-paced nature and interesting challenges that are at the heart of S3’s culture.
This role will sit in our new headquarters in Northern Virginia, where Amazon will invest $2.5 billion dollars, occupy 4 million square feet of energy efficient office space, and create at least 25,000 new full-time jobs. Our employees and the neighboring community will also benefit from the associated investments from the Commonwealth including infrastructure updates, public transportation improvements, and new access to Reagan National Airport.
This is a rare opportunity to make a significant impact on one of the largest cloud services in the world. Join us today!
- 5+ years of professional software development experience
- Experience with security threat modeling and analysis
- Experience with HTTP protocol parsing and optimization
- Deep understanding of scalable computing systems, distributed systems architecture, and low-level Linux system behaviors
- Experience managing large server fleets
- Experience with machine learning for high-scale data analytics
- Possess strong verbal and written communication skills
- Experience in Agile/SCRUM enterprise-scale software development
- Strong desire to build, sense of ownership, urgency, and drive.
- Experience applying analytical skill and problem solving abilities to ambiguous problems
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation