Dashiell is a leading national provider of technical services to the electric utility, power generation, industrial, renewable and energy industries. These services include planning and systems studies, design and engineering, maintenance and testing, program management, construction, and turnkey EPC projects. Built on 50 years of experience handling large scale complex projects; Dashiell is unique in that we are a turnkey Engineering, Construction, and Testing company that specializes in medium and high voltage electrical infrastructure.
The Substation Engineer is located out of our Austin, Texas office at 11501 Burnet Rd, Bldg 906, Ste 200, Austin, TX 78728.
The Substation Engineer performs engineering work with a focus on substation engineering design including both physical and protection & control practices. Requires knowledge of substation systems from 34.5kV to 500kV with familiarity with basic principles related to the engineering design or high voltage substations.
Successful candidates may be placed in job titles ranging from Design Engineer II, Engineer, or Project Engineer based upon experience and knowledge in the field.
Duties & Responsibilities:
Employee may be called upon to perform any or all of the following functions:
Minimum Qualifications / Experience:
- Work within a project team to create all design documents and drawings for a project, including creating wiring diagrams from schematics, generating bills of materials, and applying field mark-ups of project as-built drawings with minimal supervision
- Perform Engineering support tasks such as relay burden, lighting, load flow, and short circuit calculations with minimal supervision
- Apply engineering application software to complete engineering tasks such as ground grid design, relay coordination, transformer sizing, and load flow and short circuit studies with minimal supervision
- Review project Schedules and work with a project engineer to ensure projects remain on schedule
- Apply engineering standards including NEC, NESC, NEMA, IEEE and ANSI
- Properly use the document management system
- Apply corporate standard engineering practices
- Supervise project activities
- Communicate and coordinate project activities with project engineer, customer representatives, and others as needed
- Spend time at job sites to gain hands-on knowledge and additional training in substation construction and design
- Take personal responsibility for the quality and accuracy of his/her work
- Bring potential project-related problems and possible solutions to the attention of the responsible party
- Travel out of town for short periods of time as required by projects and assignments
- Other duties as assigned
Bachelor degree in Electrical Engineering, or equivalent degree, from an accredited university is required. A minimum of three (3) years experience in hands-on substation engineering design is required; experience in both physical design and protection & control systems is preferred. Must be eligible for professional licensing, Those with five (5) or more years of experience should be a licensed professional engineer with ability to become licensed in multiple states, or must be able to gain license within one year of hire.
- Familiarity with electrical relays currently utilized in the electric power utility industry
- Experience in application of relays and metering in an electrical substation at 138kV and above
- Experience in the design of electrical schematics for relay applications and control systems
- Experience in the design of connection drawings and cabling
- Relay coordination experience is a plus
- Strong knowledge of AC/DC fundamentals
- Knowledge and understanding of three phase power systems
- Knowledge and understanding of per-unit mathematics and symmetrical components
- Knowledge and understanding of substation components and their functions
- Knowledge of design documents and drawings necessary to complete a projects
- Knowledge of engineering standards including NEC, NESC, NEMA, IEEE and ANSI
- Knowledge of common word processing, spreadsheet, and e-mail software
- Communicating effectively with co-workers, vendors, clients, etc.
- Ability to work in a team environment
Dashiell provides a competitive compensation and benefits package. The Company provides life insurance, accidental death and dismemberment insurance, long term disability insurance and an employee assistance plan at no cost to the employee. Benefit offerings also include a choice of traditional PPO or one of two HDHPs, with corresponding FSA or HSA, dental, vision, supplemental life insurance, short-term disability insurance, critical illness insurance, hospital indemnity, group accident insurance, a 401K with immediate vesting, and more!
Must be at least 18 years of age and legally authorized to work in the United States on a permanent basis without visa sponsorship. More information about Dashiell can be found at www.dashiell.com.