XOS is a leading manufacturer of application-specific X-ray analyzers, offering elemental analysis solutions that improve public safety and customer efficiency in industries like petroleum, consumer products, and environmental compliance. For petroleum applications, XOS offers portable, lab, and process analyzers with unrivalled precision at the push of a button. XOS also offers High Definition XRF (HDXRF®) analyzers for the detection of toxic elements in consumer products, such as toys and apparel and areas of environmental regulation, like soil and water. XOS’s advanced optics and OEM sub-systems can increase precision, speed, and spatial resolution, while decreasing the size, complexity, and cost of the instrument. XOS: Better Analysis Counts.
The Software Engineer will be responsible for working with a dynamic group of talented scientists and engineers in the development of analytic instruments. This individual must have a passion for developing embedded systems’ products. This position requires an ambitious performer to help develop innovative new products and improve existing products. The candidate must have the ability to manage multiple responsibilities simultaneously. The successful candidate will have an ability to take on a high level of independent responsibility and be a major contributor to team success.
Critical Success Factors:
- Take lead role to develop, prepare, maintain, enhance, secure, and update the operating system platform for company embedded applications.
- Port applications and required tools to new versions of operating systems and/or platform hardware. Install and test product compatibility with package updates and security patches.
- Develop, maintain, and enhance tools for operating system and product updates.
- Develop and maintain multi-platform utilities to install, start, stop, and synchronize application components.
- Debug platform-specific problems for company products and enable seamless development across Linux, Windows™ and MacOS™ operating systems.
- Work closely with senior engineers to design, document, develop, and debug applications.
- Master existing utilities and code to enable feature enhancements, bug-fixes, and software re-use.
- Master the tools, languages, systems, and methodologies used by the team.
- Contribute and defend ideas toward product, process, and testability improvements.
- Actively participate in code reviews and team meetings.
- Take responsibility for personal development and team success.
- Integrity, persistence, diligence, curiosity, creativity, methodicalness
- Excellent problem-solving and troubleshooting skills; good organizational skills
- Comfort with mathematical and abstract thinking and data representations
- Good verbal and written English communication skills
- Ability to work independently, but knowing when to leverage team expertise
- High motivation with well-developed skills to manage stress & priorities and meet project deadlines
- Continuous upgrading of skills and competencies
- Ownership, urgency, transparency, and accountability
- Adequately understand expected outcomes including product behavior and delivery dates.
- Seek and obtain sufficient clarity of expectations as needed.
- Conceive of the work required and develop a plan that leads to the expected outcomes, including partitioning the work into sequential tasks, and reasonably estimating the time required.
- Present the plan pointing out where there are discrepancies between expected outcomes and feasibility; negotiate revised expectations if appropriate.
- Perform work on the plan with urgency and efficiency.
- Urgently and effectively communicate when unforeseeable events impair expected outcomes, and quickly develop countermeasures or negotiate revised expectations as appropriate.
- Experience administering and developing applications for embedded system environments
- Knowledge of modern software engineering and object-oriented design
- Familiarity and comfort with modern version control, git or mercurial
- Familiarity with network protocols and applications, as well as basic network and Linux OS security.
- Experience and proficiency with shell scripts, python, Java, and related development environments.
- Experience and proficiency with Unix-like operating systems, e.g. Linux, MacOS™
- Familiarity and Experience with C, C++, GNU autotools
- Good interpersonal communication skills
- Experience with arm-based platforms and linux operating systems on such hardware.
- Familiarity with IntelliJ, Gradle, Jenkins, Artifactory, or equivalent tools
- Experience with kernel-level debugging tools
- Bachelor’s Degree, equivalent, or higher in Computer Science, Engineering, Science, or Math
Danaher Corporation Overview
Danaher is a global science & technology innovator committed to helping our customers solve complex challenges and improve quality of life worldwide. Our world class brands are leaders in some of the most demanding and attractive industries, including life sciences, medical diagnostics, environmental and applied solutions. Our globally diverse team of 71,000 associates is united by a common culture and operating system, the Danaher Business System, which serves as our competitive advantage. We generated $19.9B in revenue last year. We are ranked #162 on the Fortune 500 and our stock has outperformed the S&P 500 by more than 5,200% over 25 years.
At Danaher, you can build a career in a way no other company can duplicate. Our brands allow us to offer dynamic careers across multiple industries. We're innovative, fast-paced, results-oriented, and we win. We need talented people to keep winning. Here you'll learn how DBS is used to shape strategy, focus execution, align our people, and create value for customers and shareholders. Come join our winning team.
Danaher is committed to competitive compensation that typically has key components including base salary, variable annual incentive compensation based on personal and company performance, and long-term incentive.
X-Ray Optical Systems (XOS)
North America-North America-United States-NY-Albany