- Independently plan and execute research projects for coating materials, including durability testing and the development of new products, for use in the enclosed trough system.
- Use appropriate analytical test methods (mechanical, physical, chemical) for material verification and failure analysis.
- Analyze data and deliver written and oral reports in to project members, leaders, and management according to project deliverables and objectives.
- Use data-driven analysis to guide the course of research.
- Research potential new products and materials according to specifications;
- Work with vendors to develop next generation materials.
- Manage technology and cost roadmaps for R&D products.
- Assist in developing field prototype tools to achieve scalable and cost effective solutions;
- Support engineers in developing and writing technical specifications for prototypes and designs.
- Monitor and support field performance of materials.
- Maintain and perform experiments in laboratory and office space in a safe and orderly manner.
- B.S. degree in materials science, chemistry, physics, or related field. M.S. or Ph. D. desired.
- Extensive experience in a hands-on laboratory setting required.
- Proficient in optical characterization of coatings.
- Ability to immediately begin durability testing of the mirror and receiver pipe coatings.
- Experience managing and executing durability projects, which includes creating the test plans, performing the lab tests, analyzing the data, and making decisions based on test conclusions.
- Experience with high temperature materials, research, chemical methods and inert atmosphere techniques desired.
- Knowledge of high temperature material properties, mineral, concrete, and metallurgical properties, material interactions desired.
- Hands-on approach to problem solving and to troubleshooting.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work with a multi-disciplinary team to complete projects on schedule.
- Experience in materials characterization and analytical techniques, such as spectroscopy, materials testing, are desired.
- 3+ years’ experience (with Ph. D.) or 5-10 years’ experience (with M.S. or B.S.)
GlassPoint is the leading provider of solar steam generators to the oil and gas industry for applications such as Enhanced Oil Recovery (EOR). Oil operators worldwide deploy EOR to boost well productivity by up to 300 percent. By replacing gas-fired steam generation with solar, GlassPoint can reduce EOR gas consumption by up to 80 percent. The gas saved can be redirected to higher value uses, powering economic growth. The company is backed by strategic investors Royal Dutch Shell and the State General Reserve Fund, the largest sovereign wealth fund in the Sultanate of Oman.
The company is headquartered in Fremont, California with regional sales offices in Muscat, Oman and Bakersfield, California. For more information visit: www.GlassPoint.com
GlassPoint provides equal employment opportunities (EEO).
Job Type: Full-time
- relevant: 5 years (Preferred)