Naval Architect | Marine & Project Engineer
The ReconCraft team is excited to bring on a talented Naval Architect/Marine Engineer ready to join our fast-paced and dynamic work environment. This position comes with immense opportunity for professional growth, diverse exposure to engineering projects, and a fantastic working culture.
You will be an integral part of a team that is modernizing U.S. Navy and U.S. Coast Guard vessel programs, as well as other unique projects for our global clientele.
Project management skills, an understanding of regulations and codes, and a solid baseline of technical project engineering capabilities are a must. We are looking for a professional who is passionate about what he/she does, ready to proactively take on challenges, and become a long-tenured employee.
- Support all engineering projects with naval architecture overview (stability, weight estimates, speed/powering estimates, maneuverability, etc.) including review of final documentation before release to clients or Production Department. This may include leading an engineering team, participating as a team member with subcontracted engineering firms, and/or working independently.
- Work closely with Sales Dept and Proposal/Estimating Group to support proposal development, estimates, and technical feasibility for potential projects
- Participate in deadweight survey or incline experiments
- Able to layout vessel general arrangements and concept design
- Lead a team of engineers and designers in carrying out marine vessel design projects, including technical data packages (TDP)
- Act as technical liaison with third-party agents and government clients
- Coordinate all production issues with manufacturing personnel and management
- Develop prototype and production designs
- Other tasks/functions as required
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s Degree in Naval Architecture/Marine Engineering, Mechanical Engineering with marine design experience, or equivalent experience in the marine field
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in high-speed small boat design (aluminum vessel design preferred). Shipyard or shop-floor experience is a significant advantage.
- Requires engineering competency in all facets of vessel designs of less than 200 feet. Experience must include good working knowledge of USCG, ABYC, IEEE, ISO, and Classification Society rules, design spiral, vessel arrangements, structural, electrical, mechanical and outfit details.
- Must be capable of clear and effective communications, creative problem solving, and working well with others of all levels of authority and technical knowledge. Must be highly organized and have excellent documentation skills.
- Requires an in-depth working knowledge and understanding of Rhino3D, SolidWorks, AutoCAD and other industry standard software. Ship Constructor experience is a plus.
- Employee must be a "U.S. Person" as defined Code of Federal Regulations, Title 22, Section 120.15
- Current P.E. License in Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering. Mechanical Engineering P.E. may be considered if marine design experience is included.
- Government contract experience
- Regulatory compliance experience
- Project management education or experience
- Shipboard or work experience in a shipyard environment
- Passion for and the ability to engage in business development and sales activities in the marine industry
Physical Demands (typical):
- Must be able to climb up and down ladders, ramps, and stairs
- Must be able to bend and maneuver in tight places and uneven floor areas
- Must be able to sit and stand for long periods of time
- Office and heavy industrial manufacturing environment
- Heavy workload handling multiple priorities and time frames
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by a person assigned to this position, but are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required. This job description is subject to elimination, modification or addition at any time, in part or in entirety, at the discretion of ReconCraft.
ReconCraft provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, ReconCraft complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location where the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
Job Type: Full-time
- Professional Engineer (P.E.) (Preferred)