Mechanical Engineer (USCG-20-0867)
Bowhead is seeking a Mechanical Engineer to provide Design Mechanical Engineering services to United States Coast Guard (USCG) Civil Engineering Unit (CEU) Juneau. Position is located at USCG Base Kodiak, AK, in support of projects throughout the 17th Coast Guard District (D17) area of responsibility (AOR). Services include independent technical reviews, project scope development, field investigation, planning, specifications, drawings, cost estimating, problem and conflict resolution, scheduling and design production, and facility condition assessments.
Essential duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Provide Senior Mechanical Engineering services for the CEU Juneau in support of work associated with projects on the Advanced Acquisition Plan and other inserted projects.
- Provide mechanical engineering trouble-shooting and/or consultations, providing technical and project advice and guidance to CEU Juneau Project Managers.
- Conduct comprehensive technical reviews of professional studies, reports and analysis.
- Collaborate with managers, other engineers/architects, construction project managers, legal staff, contract specialists and or contractor personnel, and provides advice and insight on the resolution of unique and/or complex mechanical engineering problems and disputes.
- Provide technical reviews and review comments for project designs, including Design-Build and Design-Bid-Build efforts.
- Provide technical responses for A/E and contractor requests for information and coordinates with CEU Juneau Project Manager in developing Scopes of Work for required contract modifications.
- Provide facility condition assessments and evaluations throughout D17.
- Travel (potential for overnight) to meet with CEU Juneau staff and review contract performance is required. Other travel may include occasional travel to operational & construction sites in USCG District 17 Area of Responsibility (D17 AOR – Alaska Maritime Region).
Requirements • Requires a minimum of 5 years of work experience in the mechanical engineering field and BA/BS degree in related field. 10 years of experience and MA/MS degree in related field preferred.
- Must have demonstrated mastery of Mechanical Engineering concepts, principles, and practices.
- Experience in National Codes and Mechanical Engineering sub-disciplines (including heating, air conditioning, ventilation, plumbing, fuel systems, tanks, pumps, piping, steam, and minor structural, etc.) is required.
- Licensed Professional Engineer or other industry-standard professional license related to position highly desirable.
- Experience with design work for conditions in the D17 AOR (high seismic, high-wind and coastal maritime climate conditions), AutoCAD drafting skills, developing/reviewing technical packages for Design-Build, Design-Bid-Build and performance specifications is highly desirable.
The work is primarily sedentary and is performed in a normal office environment. Some overnight travel may be required and the contractor may be exposed to risks associated with field work which may include moderate stress such as being exposed to adverse weather, riding in small aircraft, climbing ladders, crawling under buildings, etc.
The office environmental conditions consist of computer stations and desks with adequate and adjustable lighting. Chairs are designed to fit the various individuals and the tasks being performed. Ergonomic evaluations are completed as needed, to provide up to date modifications to all work stations.
Applicants may be subject to a pre-employment drug & alcohol screening and/or random drug screen, and must follow UIC’s Non-DOT Drug & Alcohol Testing Program requirements. If the position requires, an applicant must pass a pre-employment criminal background history check. All post-secondary education listed on the applicant’s resume/application may be subject to verification.
Where driving may be required or where a rental car must be obtained for business travel purposes, applicants must have a valid driver license for this position and will be subject to verification. In addition, the applicant must pass an in-house, online, driving course to be authorized to drive for company purposes.