We are seeking an Industrial Project Engineer. Shaw Industries Corporate Engineering (CE) provides engineering support for the Corporation’s Manufacturing, Distribution, Sales, and Administrative Facilities. Although its primary base is in Dalton, GA, CE is deployed on projects from southern California to coastal South Carolina, as well as internationally. The department provides feasibility studies, high-level, and detailed budget estimates, engineering design, project management, consulting, forensic investigations, and CAD services. CE has specialists to serve the needs of each segment of the business and is divided into four main support groups: Fibers & Yarn, Carpet & Backing, Hard Surfaces, Infrastructure & Global Facilities. Staff includes Mechanical, Electrical, Civil, & Chemical Engineers, Construction Managers, and CAD Designers as well as Administrative staff.
Under the limited direction of the Engineering Manager, the Industrial Project Engineer is responsible and accountable for project development and execution, as well as engineering support that is major and complex. Work is often multi-disciplined and requires close coordination with manufacturing management as well as other corporate departments and outside agencies. The industrial project engineer prepares technical specifications and utilizes project management tools to ensure projects meet safety, quality, performance, and budget requirements.
- Project Development and Engineering:
- Envisions and develops project concept
- Solicits and documents plant or division requirements and inputs
- Utilizes technical skills, experience, and education to determine loads, speeds, energy requirements, etc.
- Develops, controls, and maintains a project budget and timeline. (Gantt Chart)
- Develops project specifications and full bid or construction packages
- Uses CE standards and may be asked to write new ones
- Project Administration:
- Seek approvals from Management to proceed with expenditures required to expand or maintain manufacturing facilities.
- Combine specifications, standards, drawings, and other documentation into bid packages and solicit bids for equipment and/or services.
- Track and maintain control of approved project expenditures. Accountable for the project budget.
- Issue requisitions and approve receipts/invoices.
- Publish periodic project reports. (Weekly and Monthly)
- Prepare Asset Detail documents and submit them to Corporate Assets for timely capitalization of new equipment.
- Assemble completed project file documents and archive per Corporate Engineering Standard.
- Manage contractors on site ensuring that corporate and plant policies such as safety, ethics, environmental, etc. are enforced.
- Take full responsibility for all contractor activities; act as the primary liaison between Corporate Engineering and plant management; minimize disruption to normal plant activities and communicate any necessary disruptions to management in advance.
- Perform Quality Control function, inspecting all contractor work and vendor-supplied equipment to ensure compliance with specifications, drawings, timeline requirements, etc., issued in the bid package.
- Provide troubleshooting services for existing manufacturing systems and processes. Recommend and/or evaluate potential process improvements; assemble or serve on process improvement teams, accident investigation teams.
- Participate and support efforts regarding initiatives for Energy and Reliability.
- Have knowledge of the design of mechanical systems in an industrial environment.
- Possess strong working knowledge of the OSHA safety and construction standards, applicable ANSI, and ASME manufacturing codes and standards.
- Demonstrate Good Judgment
- Execute Action Plan
- Initiate Action
- Build Trusting Relationships
Education & Experience:
- 4-year Engineering degree preferred with 5 years related experience OR 10+ years industrial project management experience.
- Must be able to work required overtime, including being on-call. (Travel may be required.)
- Must have good managerial skills.
- Must be able to communicate ideas both verbally and in writing.
- Must be able to be the project scheduling champion.
- Must be able to organize and effectively lead meetings.
- Experience with project scheduling software is a plus
- Experience with AutoCAD drawings is a plus
- Project work will be primarily based in, but not limited to, Columbia, SC, Aiken, SC, and Thomson, GA
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $76,557.00 - $105,266.00 per year
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Employee discount
- Health insurance
- Health savings account
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Relocation assistance
- Tuition reimbursement
- Vision insurance
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
Work Location: One location