A CNC programmer writes code to automate power driven machines that cut and finish metal such as lathes, grinders and mills.
1) Programs in Mastercam software and creates instructions for machinists.
2) Review and Download 3D CAD Solid Models and design blueprints.
3) Makes calculations for programming including where materials should be cut.
4) Translates instructions into a computer automated manufacturing (CAM) program.
5) Checks completed programs by running simulations or tests.
6) Prepares geometric layout of designs using proper software.
7) Determines sequence of operations in a program.
8) Chooses cutting tools that will be needed.
9) Analyzes job order and performs necessary calculations.
10) Writes programs and modifies existing ones for increased efficiency.
11) Analyzes and selects speeds and feeds for materials to be cut, with available tooling.
12) Makes improvements to set up times for a task and contouring of complex shapes.
13) Simplifies tooling time for workers and increases productivity for the client.
14) Evaluates all completed designs to validate their functions and ensure they successfully reduce time and money for the client.
15) Monitors all programs to make sure they follow blueprint instructions and safely and successfully complete the task.
16) Provides training for clients on automated systems.
17) Complies with all safety rules and regulations.
18) Complies with Quality Management System requirements of the Company
1) Other duties as assigned
- Must have superior computer programming skills.
- Must have excellent reading comprehension skills.
- Good math skills, especially algebra, trigonometry and physics.
- Good active listening skills.
- Must have good problem solving skills.
- Must have excellent time management skills.
- Must have good organizational and planning skills.
- Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Must be mechanically inclined.
- Knowledge of metal shop work.
- Must be highly detail oriented.
- Must be able to work effectively with little or no supervision.
- Must have the ability to write and read complex spreadsheets.
- Must have the ability to read blueprints.
- Knowledge of safety measures pertinent to each job assignment.
- Certification in Mastercam programming
- Associate’s degree in CNC programming, a computer-related field or a mechanical field. [Level II or above]
- Bachelor’s degree in computer programming or computer-related field. [Level III]
- Knowledge of electronics and machine tools.
- Experience with programming.
- Complete an apprenticeship.
- Continuing education to learn new techniques as they emerge.
- Certification through The National Institute Of Metalworking Skills.
- Certification from accredited technical school
- Highly organized with strong attention to detail
- Ability to work independently and on a team
- Appropriate market knowledge and understanding
- Experience with Global Shop or similar ERP system
- Appropriate market knowledge
Job Type: Full-time
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Disability insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- Vision insurance
- 8 hour shift
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday