Gulbrandsen Inc. a manufacturer of chemical intermediates, fine chemicals, and catalysts for process industry requirements has a full time opening for a Plant Engineer.
WHAT THIS COMPANY OFFERS YOU:
- Comprehensive Benefits and Salary including Bonus Plan, Medical, Dental, Vision Programs
- HSA or PPO Medical options available
- 401k with match
- Wellness programs and gym membership
- Employee Life insurance (no cost to employee) and Life Plans available for spouse and children
- Boot and Uniform Allowance
Gulbrandsen a manufacturer of chemical intermediates, fine chemicals, and catalysts for process industry requirements has a full time opening for a Plant Engineer. This position will report to the Engineering Manager.
PRINCIPAL PURPOSE OF JOB:
This position is responsible for the day-to-day support and execution of engineering projects, assistance to the maintenance department and production assistance assignments. The Plant Engineer will conduct research to develop new manufacturing processes, analyze operating procedures, equipment and machinery functions, and make recommendations for reducing processing time and cost. The engineer works with equipment for safe storage and transportation of chemical solids, liquids, and gases, as well as design control systems for chemical plants. Will also perform tests and take measurements in order to determine the most efficient production methods and develop instrumentation and control systems that will safely and economically produce the highest quality product. This position requires the engineer to provides services to the Gulbrandsen Orangeburg, SC and LaPorte TX facilities.
LEVEL OF AUTHORITY:
Performs duties with only general direction and defined latitude for independent judgment within established guidelines and policies.
Some work is performed outdoors in all kinds of weather conditions. Other work is performed indoors at the production facilities. Work performed in this job will place the employee at risk of exposure to chemical hazards.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Participate with the operations manager to determine most effective arrangement of operations, such as mixing, crushing, material transfer, distillation, and drying.
- Prepare estimates of production costs and production progress reports for management.
- Perform tests throughout stages of production to determine degree of control over variables, including temperature, density, specific gravity, and pressure.
- Conduct research to develop new and improved chemical manufacturing processes.
- Periodically inspect facilities and advise as to preventative maintenance measures needed.
- Analyze charts, work orders, historical data, maintenance and production schedules in order to meet customer requirements and set daily/monthly preventative maintenance activities.
- Confer with managers/supervisors to coordinate daily maintenance activities throughout the operation.
- Order/Inspect materials, parts, and equipment to detect defects or malfunctions. Determine best problem solving solution.
- Direct, review, and approve design changes to equipment or the facility.
- 10 to 25% travel required.
- Bachelor’s degree in chemical engineering.
- 3-5 years plant experience in an industrial or chemical manufacturing setting.
- Must have proven troubleshooting skills in a process manufacturing environment.
- Liquid handling and solids handling experiences desired.
- Must have a thorough knowledge of work hazards, safety procedures, and plant safety matters.
- Proven ability to determine capital expenditure needs of a plant and spec out equipment as defined by capital expenditure needs, coordinate installation and operations of such.
- Previous direct interaction with ISO, SCDHEC, OSHA, FDA agencies a plus.
- Must be capable of critical thinking and a proven problem solver.
- Knowledge of the chemical composition, structure, and properties of substances and of the chemical processes and transformations that they undergo. This includes uses of chemicals and their interactions, danger signs, production techniques, and disposal methods.
- Physical strength and ability to perform moderate manual labor under uncomfortable conditions and in all types of weather, as necessary.
- Ability to work in hot environments.
Key Job Competencies
- Must have excellent communications skills to direct employees, coordinate with other departments and answer inquiries.
- Ability to take initiative and apply considerable ingenuity and practical knowledge to interpret and resolve new, unusual, or particularly troublesome situations.
- Reading ability to read and interpret technical journals, manuals and other materials pertaining to facility maintenance, equipment, systems and repair.
- Ability to lead, take charge, offer direction, opinions, and accept feedback.
- Ability to manage and lead others in cross-functional environments.
- Reliable, responsible, and personally accountable for accomplishing results.
- Ability to build a team spirit on a number of levels, and positive work environment.
- Excellent knowledge of systems and their application in a maintenance setting.
- Organization, communication and project organization computer skills.
- The statements contained in this job description reflect general details as necessary to describe the principal functions of this job, the level of knowledge and skill typically required, and the scope of responsibility. It should not be considered an all-inclusive listing of work requirements. Individuals may perform other duties as assigned, including work in other functional areas to cover absences or provide relief, to equalize peak work periods, or otherwise to balance the workload.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $85,000.00 - $110,000.00 per year
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Health insurance
- Health savings account
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Referral program
- Relocation assistance
- Vision insurance
- 8 hour shift
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday
Daily Temperature screenings
Routine cleaning and disinfecting of common areas
Hand sanitizer stations in place
Face covers worn by employees on-site
Social distancing practice through-out the facility
- Engineering: 3 years (Required)
- Manufacturing: 3 years (Preferred)
- Day Shift (Required)
- Night Shift (Preferred)
Willingness to travel:
Work Location: One location