Senior Product Development Engineer (Connections Group)
Job Description Summary
Responsibility of the Senior Product Development Engineer is to join the Advanced Engineering team and support legacy and sustaining business activity. Focus of the Connections Group is in Quick-Connects and Plastic Components. Key responsibility of this new position is to lead post-launch transition and through serial production after support of Innovative Product Development. This will include sustaining successfully launched product portfolio through new design configurations, continuous improvement, and value-add cost-save activity.
This Senior Engineer is the technical representative of the Connections Group and liaison to the Cooper Standard Program engineering / Tier Sales group (internal customers) through creation and maintenance of connector and adaptor designs that meet the Customer’s functional, timing and cost targets. Areas of focus include specifying solutions, supporting design Reviews, providing 3D math data, drawings, prototypes, DV and PV testing. Also responsible for leading and attending all relevant program team meetings, supplier technical reviews, and, when required, run at rate events at our manufacturing plants. The position will develop into a people leadership role, while maintaining responsibility for ongoing quality and VA/VE support on products.
- Creation and maintenance of connector and adaptor designs that meet the Customer’s functional, timing and cost targets
- Technical interface with the customer, program engineering, design, manufacturing plants, testing, sales, program management, purchasing and suppliers.
- Domain expert in PLM for connectors and adaptors, including engineering change requests.
- Gain knowledge of internal and customer manufacturing and design processes.
- Utilize and support the development of best practices and processes.
- Provide BOM cost effective input to the auto‐quote process.
- Responsible for product validation and lead root cause analysis of failures.
- Responsible for component design status including design and development timelines.
- Lead portfolio proliferation through validation with new customers.
- Lead product VA/VE reviews.
- Lead technical troubleshooting for commodity.
- Provide quality support including KT, 8D, or other structured corrective action to assure timely and permanent problem resolution.
- Mentor associate engineers.
- May, on occasion, be required to perform duties other than those specified in this description.
Education and Qualifications:
- Bachelor's Degree in engineering is required.
- Typically has five plus years of experience.
- Deep understanding of quick-connects preferred, experience in applying quick-connects a MUST.
- Experience in the following preferred:
- DFMEA, DVPR and other engineering principles.
- Plastic injection molding and small component assembly.
- Directing others in CAD design.
- PLM systems or part management systems.
- Work attitude:
- Strong customer service attitude
- Flexibility in work priorities, ability to adapt to "walk-in" requests
- Solves complex problems, takes a new perspective on existing solutions and analyzes possible solutions using technical experience and judgment.
- Strategic thinker with strong business acumen.
- Explains complex information in a concise and understandable manner.
- Demonstrated extensive technical aptitude in engineering disciplines.
- Strong written and presentation skills of technical communication.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office.
- In depth experience with drawing layouts, part detailing, and GD&T.
- Ability to assess and identify design alternatives.
- Ability to prioritize, assess and mitigate risk.
- Willingness and ability to travel, as necessary.
Work Environment/Work Conditions:
- Professional Office Environment.
- Must wear proper personal protection equipment while on manufacturing floor.
- Travel to manufacturing facilities or customer locations when required.
- Equipment used requires proper training on the potential for and avoidance of injury.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $90,000.00 - $110,000.00 per year
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Flexible schedule
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Health savings account
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Professional development assistance
- Referral program
- Retirement plan
- Tuition reimbursement
- Vision insurance
Work Location: One location