Job Title: Product Developer Status: Non-Exempt
Reports to: VP of Production, PD and Sourcing Dept Name: Product Development
The Product Developer develops and manages a group of products from concept through production. The Developer will collaborate with the VP of Production, PD & Sourcing to achieve seasonal product calendar initiatives. The Developer coordinates and defines materials, construction, fit, sourcing, costing, and commercial execution of product. The position requires extensive knowledge of apparel construction, fit and garment costing. This position is the link between merchandising/design/sales –production/sourcing and the factories.
Essential Duties and responsibilities
· Ensure on-time completion of deliverables and manage the calendar and process including costing, quality evaluation, fabric, and trim requirements for each product.
· Negotiate with factory to achieve costs in order to meet target wholesale and gross margin targets. Suggest alternatives when relevant.
· Handle all daily communication with overseas and domestic vendors for assigned categories. Some factory travel both domestic and overseas may be required.
· Develop and maintain current WIP reports and BOM’s that result in a daily understanding of each item “in work” with an up-to-date trackable status of each item.
· Identify materials and construction that supports Designer’s vision and product requirements.
· Partner with production team to determine the sourcing strategy for the season or program.
· Participate in sourcing decisions based on volume, technique, fabrication and cost.
· Establish and maintain fit and construction standards and blocks to ensure brand consistency and quality.
· Prepare and lead all fittings for samples received.
· Performs spec review of all received samples for accuracy and consistency.
· Act as a team player and be able to work closely with other team members to help manage overall workload for the department in addition to managing personal workload.
· Coordinate all factory communication for the development of proto-types, establish the timeline, raw material management, and approval requirements with the factory.
· Support the sourcing and training of new factory resources.
· 3+ years’ experience in apparel product development manager, and/or technical design.
· Knowledgeable of garment construction, and basic fabric properties, patternmaking, costing, embroidery and surface applications (e.g. screen printing, etc.)
· Exceptionally strong problem-solving and negotiating skills.
· Strong verbal and written communication skills including meeting facilitation and process implementation.
· Proficiency in Microsoft Excel, and Adobe Illustrator.
· Excellent understanding of the design, development and merchandising process from inception through production.
· Ability to interpret design intent and offer alternative solutions.
· Ability to be a technical resource to others.
· Proven performance history with domestic and offshore vendors and manufacturers.
· Extreme attention to detail.
· Knowledge of garment fit and the ability to instruct a manufacturer on necessary changes to a pattern to influence the fit.
· Able to manage multiple priorities, meet deadlines.
· Knowledge of Full-Circle is a plus.
- Must be able to work in a fast-paced environment
- Office with open floor plan
- Business casual office attire
- Work is performed inside a temperature-controlled office building
· Sit, stand, bend, lift occasionally lifting.
· Ability to maintain a composed and professional demeanor within a flexible and (at times noisy) work environment.
· Ability to look at a computer screen for extended periods of time.
· Must be able to travel internationally and domestically, utilizing various forms of transportation as needed.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
- Ability to work minimum direction and independently.
- Excellent communication skills (oral and written)
- Customer Management: Ability to summarize information and succinctly communicate analyses verbally and in writing.
- Problem Solver- Identifies issues and resolves problems in a timely manner; uses reason even when dealing with issues
- Process-oriented: Designs & systematically executes proactively goals and objectives
- Organized: Possesses an ability to work on multiple projects, problems or tasks
- Team-oriented and Collaborative
- Demonstrates high integrity in all activities; does not cut corners to achieve goals.
Job Type: Full-time
- Product Development: 3 years (Preferred)
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Vision insurance
- Retirement plan
- Paid time off
- Flexible schedule
This Company Describes Its Culture as:
- Outcome-oriented -- results-focused with strong performance culture
- Team-oriented -- cooperative and collaborative
- Detail-oriented -- quality and precision-focused