QinetiQ comprises teams of dedicated people; experts in defence, aerospace, security and related markets. We draw on our extensive technical knowledge and intellectual property to provide the know-how and support to solve some of the world’s most challenging problems. Our people make the critical difference to customers by providing unique approaches to problem solving. Why don’t you join some of the world’s finest scientific and technical minds and help us make tomorrow work today?
Job description/Person specification
Overall Purpose of the Job:
To provide system safety engineering skills to external and internal clients and to assist in the development of business growth.
The primary output for this role will be provision of safety engineering expertise to deliver defined artefacts in support of projects to our clients. Artefact production will cover the whole range of Safety and Environmental Management System (SEMS) documentation for domain platforms, and the applicant should possess analytical skills to examine evidence to support a safety argument. Ability in the use of safety engineering tools and techniques together with excellent report writing skills is essential for the delivery of output.
The role will also be responsible for providing support to the Engineering Delivery Partnership team with estimates and developing technical solutions in systems safety. It is expected that this will be approx. 50% of the role with the remainder focussed as the Subject Matter Expert (SME) on tasks associated with the delivery of output.
The role will predominantly be working with platforms in defined domains (predominantly Air or Maritime) requiring safety engineering support. In order to deliver output, the successful candidate will need to be flexible to work in a variety of safety support roles, and be prepared to travel to meet customer and internal business needs. There will also be a need to support, mentor and supervise other resources within the Group. That will include providing projects with documentation technical assurance through peer review prior to delivery where appropriate.
- Rapidly assimilating information and gaining a good understanding of the problems and issues associated with new tasks
- Getting the buy-in of other SMEs to the job holder’s preferred methods/solutions
- Delivering solutions to meet different customers’ requirements in parallel
- Working within a graphically dispersed team
- Understand and work within the regulatory and policy boundaries, offering advice and guidance to other QinetiQ business areas and customers alike.
- Develop new and nurture existing business relationships both internally and externally.
- Support new team members and to help grow the capability
- Ensure that work tasks are delivered to the specified time, cost and quality standards and any other specifications given.
- Provide recommended solutions to problems that are defensible, auditable and which will meet customers’ expectations and needs
- Support time estimates for inputs to bids;
- Manage other safety engineering resources within the project to ensure quality of output and timeliness.
- Work collaboratively with Project Managers and Capability Managers to meet the customers’ needs
- Ensure that all work performed is consistent with QinetiQ Compliance Procedures
- Explore and develop potential business opportunities within the existing and potential customer base.
- Develop and maintain effective technical networks with customers.
Support other domain safety engineering activities where skills and experience is considered appropriate.
Successful outcomes of this role:
Essential Education, Qualifications and Training:
- Provision of verbal and written technical advice to the Customer as tasked by Project Managers and Capability Managers.
Essential Knowledge, Skills and Experience Required:
- Engineering degree or equivalent.
Essential Personal Qualities and Behavioural Requirements:
- Analytical and logical thinking skills consistent with those associated with the successful completion of a degree in mathematics, science or technology; also the job holder must have conceptual flexibility and be able to think in an integrated/holistic /systematic manner.
- Good judgement for reliably identifying and managing opportunities and risks, and also for selecting the most appropriate solution from a range of options.
- Good questioning, listening, influencing and general interpersonal skills to obtain relevant and accurate information from others.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including presentation skills.
- A collaborative willingness to take the lead and influence/persuade others to align to a particular course of action.
- Good team working and collaboration skills.
- Knowledge and experience in working with regulatory organisations.
- Excellent leadership and management skills
- An enthusiastic, outgoing, proactive, success orientated approach.
- Job holder is expected to travel regularly in the UK including overnight stays.
- Seek guidance from others when in doubt and advise/support others where the expertise is considered to be SQEP.
- Chartered Engineer
- Masters' Degree in Safety related discipline
QinetiQ offers an excellent salary and benefits package commensurate with a large international company some of which are highlighted below: -
- Career development across a diverse International organisation
- 50% off meals at selected restaurants , 40% off cinema tickets.
- Modern and collaborative working environment
- Pension - up to 10.5 % Company contributed
- Flexible Working , Social and family events
- Health Cash Plan , Health Screening, Employee Assistance 24/7
- Leading edge technology focus
- Private Medical Insurance and Dental Insurance at additional cost
- Childcare or After School Club , Annual Leave Purchase
- Personal Accident Insurance , Annual Travel Insurance
- Gym and sports facilities available at larger sites
- Payroll Giving and Volunteering - helping charities and local community