Position Summary: This degreed engineering position works on specific design projects as assigned by the Director of Engineering or Product Line Engineering Manager. Project Engineers work in cooperation with Sales and Manufacturing Departments to design and manufacture truck trailers and related sub-assemblies and/or other components to customer specifications and completion due dates.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Creates and maintains good, sound, cost effective and industry leading designs. Conduct studies as assigned by Engineering Manager(s) to develop new concepts and designs for incorporation into the end product, with special emphasis as to strength, weight, cost, manufacturing practicality and ease of repairing product.
2. Coordinate purchasing of new vendor items with the purchasing department and vendors.
3. Conducts Finite Element Analysis on designs and participates in the testing and data acquisition of mock-ups and prototypes to confirm design functions and insure reliability and Safety.
4. Coordinates implementation of assigned department projects with appropriate production personnel, including the implementation of the Lean Principle of Manufacturing.
5. Works with warranty manager and customer in determining cause and solution of problems. Furnishes warranty manager with necessary procedures and drawings for repairing problems. Implements necessary design changes into production to prevent future warranty problems.
6. Responsible for design safety, required safety decals and conducts FMEA on projects assigned. Provide information to be included in owner manuals.
7. Manages projects in a gated development cycle. Maintaining a schedule of project phases and regularly reporting status to the Engineering Managers.
8. Responsible for supervising Drafting personnel working on projects assigned to him.
9. Conducts design review meetings with manufacturing and sales department.
10. Prepares and issues any necessary change orders related to assigned projects.
11. Provides and maintains safe & secure working conditions and enforces safety regulations.
12. Responsible for investigating design inquires by Sales personnel. This may consist of weight distribution, loading feasibility, etc.
Physical and mental requirements needed to perform the essential functions
- Functional vision, normal or correcte
- Functional hearing and speech
- Ability to report to work punctually at the beginning of the workday.
- Ability to read and understand production and print orders.
- Ability to read and understand a tape measure.
- Ability to access, input, and retrieve information from a computer.
- Ability to use keyboard and use of mouse or alternative input device(s).
- Ability to understand and follow safety rules and regulations.
- Ability to meet physical demands.Skills & Requirements: Age: Eighteen years of age minimum. Education: Bachelor Degree in Engineering-Mechanical Designation preferred. Computer Skills: Competent, able to employ Computer Aided software capably. Certifications: Professional Engineer (PE) certification preferred, but not required. Communication: Ability to read, write, comprehend and communicate clearly and concisely using the English language. Preferred Experience: Structural Design, Project Management, Parametric Modeling (Creo), FEA (Mechanica or Ansys), Mircrosoft AX, Microsoft Office, Data Acquisition, PLC Programming. Other Requirements: Able to wear hardhat, eye, and ear protection, & safety boots. Able to wear Personal Protective Equipment such as eyewear, hearing, hardhat, & composite or steel toe safety boots.
Job Type: Full-time
- Engineering: 10 years (Preferred)
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Retirement plan
- Paid time off
- Relocation assistance
This Company Describes Its Culture as:
- Detail-oriented -- quality and precision-focused
- Aggressive -- competitive and growth-oriented
- Outcome-oriented -- results-focused with strong performance culture
- Stable -- traditional, stable, strong processes
- People-oriented -- supportive and fairness-focused
- Team-oriented -- cooperative and collaborative