The Sr. Design Engineer will be responsible for leading design efforts for the development of products and enablement of service delivery and technology transfer in a high-technology production agriculture setting.
Duties and responsibilities
· Utilize up-to-date engineering design technologies, tools and practices to facilitate delivery of products as well as bringing the designs from small scale prototypes to large scale production environments.
· Support timely, controlled, and compliant design changes. Participate in multi-disciplinary collaboration with equipment designers, fabricators and soft/hardware engineers, and others to pursue and achieve business objectives, on time, at cost with optimal quality.
· Assist in establishing protocols and participate in product qualification, contract negotiation, manufacturing processes, and production-based support documentation.
· Execute overall systems design, development and integration of mechanical and structural systems. Progress designs all the way through detailed design, drawing generation, parts procurement, and hands-on assembly, integration and test.
· Coordinate implementation of new designs and develop transition plans to bridge between design revisions
· Design and analyze mechanical systems and equipment. Conducts feasibility studies and testing on new and modified designs. Ensure the designs have been validated and thoroughly documented prior to production release.
· Assures design planning,mechanical innovation, rapid prototyping, development of test plans for design validation, systems & sub-systems testing for design validation, documenting design with state-of-the-art technology.
· Effectively assure understandable and continuous technical communication with internal and external stakeholders. Present material in a concise and professional manner to a wide variety of individuals including customers, leadership team, co-workers, other internal or external stakeholders as needed
· Assess and effectively understand the opportunities and challenges for technical success in new environments and facilities and help estimate timeline and cost while working to customize design solutions for specific field and/or customer situations and conditions.
· Gather information and data from equipment and field processes to pass along to the Operations and Biology Research/Development teams.
· Work collaboratively with strategic equipment partners, other strategic engineering partners and with customers and their technical field teams.
· Lead efforts for customization, technology selection, or design of systems to support specific customer equipment needs.
· Lead projects involving internal and external engineering, fabrication, and installation teams, including site acceptance testing (SAT) of all equipment, proper commissioning and transitioning day to operation to field team members.
· Lead relationships with external fabricators, general contractors, and vendors to ensure equipment is built, installed, and maintained on time and to PowerPollen standards.
· Understand and conform to relevant industry, customer and PowerPollen safety standards.
· Develop project value propositions and document engineering results in white papers, engineering reports, trade magazine articles, and conference papers
· Stay up-to-date regarding your field of engineering and technology relative to agriculture, the production seed industry and PowerPollen.
Required Skills, Knowledge
· Experience leading or participating in large scale agricultural/industrial projects.
· Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical, Industrial or Electrical Engineering
· 5 – 7+ years experience in a technical or engineering related role, preferably in agriculture or agricultural services industry.
· Engineering aptitude with solid hands-on mechanical skills, a commercial focus and knowledge of production agriculture systems.
· Demonstrated prior project management experience.
· Working knowledge of mechanical and/or hydraulic and/or electrical systems (including software).
· Experience developing, simulating and validating systems for agriculture or construction machinery.
· Aptitude for innovation and trouble-shooting.
· Ability to organize and prioritize work assignments to complete assignments/tasks on time.
· Ability to apply creative approaches and ideas to solve problems, maximizing the effective use of resources.
· Action-oriented, flexible, objective and an excellent communicator able to work effectively in both a team setting and individually with limited oversight.
· Available to travel approximately 40% of time including domestic and international travel.
· Ability to learn data systems and work remotely using mobile devices.
· Can lift 50 lbs. or more on an intermittent basis.
Primarily a field or fabrication shop based role with frequent interactions occurring in, stationary and mobile labs, outdoor agricultural field environments and office settings.
Job Type: Full-time
- relevant: 1 year (Preferred)
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Retirement plan
- Signing bonus
- Paid time off
- Flexible schedule
- Relocation assistance