At Virginia Space, we're working on solving the challenges that take us a step closer to our mission first, safety always approach to successfully supporting our clients.
MARS is seeking a Systems Maintenance Engineer/Manager to join our dynamic team at Wallop Island with highly skilled and dedicated Technical Team.
Under limited supervision, this position is primarily responsible for oversees performance of general and specific mechanical services to support launch pad facility upgrades, improvements, maintenance, repairs, system operations support, and supports field documentation.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provides mechanical support to cryogenic, pneumatic, fuel, control, structural, HVAC, water and fluid/hydraulic systems.
- Performs mechanical maintenance, alteration, and repair tasks on the VCSFA/MARS mechanical and Fluid Ground Support Equipment (FGSE).
- Provides low voltage (controls) electrical support to cryogenic, pneumatic, fuel, control, structural, HVAC, water and fluid/hydraulic systems.
- Performs low voltage (controls) electrical maintenance, alteration, and repair tasks on the mechanical and FGSE.
- Operates the VCSFA/MARS mechanical and Fluid Ground Support Equipment in accordance with approved operating procedures including performance of valve line-ups, replenishment of FGSE storage vessels, monitoring of FGSE storage levels, maintaining system and area cleanliness, executing system Lock Out/Tag Out as directed, and supporting FGSE fluid and gas sampling.
- Performs Structural Maintenance and securing of the launch mount, blast protection plates, and trench covers.
- Performs maintenance and repairs as required to Environmental Control System units and controls.
- Assists in the preparation of quality, safety, and procedural documentation for operational and maintenance/repair activities.
- Supports preparation of the VCSFA/MARS launch pads and pad systems for launch vehicle roll-out/stacking and launch.
- Supports post-launch damage and readiness assessments, launch pad securing and cleanup.
- Attends formal training as directed to pursue or maintain required certifications.
- Operates ground support equipment including fork-lifts, man-lifts, boom-lifts, and tow tractors as required in the performance of assigned tasks.
- Ensures completion of tasks safely, efficiently, and in accordance with VCSFA/MARS Safety, Quality, and Management Policies and Directives.
· Must possess a valid driver’s license and reliable transportation the Mid-Atlantic Regional Spaceport Offices and facilities on Virginia’s Eastern Shore.
· Must be able to maintain secured access to the Mid-Atlantic Regional Spaceport and supporting facilities.
· Possess knowledge of basic mechanical systems and devices including their principles of operation.
· Must be skilled in the use of hand and power tools (including torque wrenches, precision measuring devices) and maintenance support equipment (vacuum and pressure pumps, jacks and lifting devices, access equipment) used in the operation, maintenance, alteration, and repair of pneumatic, cryogenic, hydraulic, HVAC, Fuel, and other control systems.
- Must possess the aptitude and ability to achieve formal certification for the operation of various ground support equipment through formal training.
- Must possess the aptitude and ability to achieve formal certification for the operation and maintenance of high-pressure systems.
- Must be able to understand, follow, and promote OSHA safety guidelines and requirements in the workplace.
Education and/or Experience
Bachelor’s Degree in engineering or Associates with 5 years of experience of direct, practical work experience in the performance of operations, maintenance, alteration, and repair of complex mechanical fluid/hydraulic, cryogenic, fuel, pressure systems, structural maintenance, corrosion control, and HVAC systems.
VCSFA is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, and encourages Women, Minorities, Individuals with Disabilities, and protected Veterans.
Job Type: Full-time
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Disability insurance
- Flexible schedule
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Parental leave
- Retirement plan
- Tuition reimbursement
- Vision insurance
- practical work: 5 years (Preferred)