Privately held and employee-owned, HR Green is honored to be one of the nation’s longest operating engineering firms. Our Transportation group has been continuing to grow and we are currently seeking a Senior Construction Technician or Engineer to support projects in and around the Sioux Falls and Sioux City area. In this position, you will operate as a lead on these types of projects on site as the Construction Engineer and act as a liaison between our engineering team and contractors. In addition, you’ll help manage construction operations and lead junior-level staff.
Do you have experience in Construction Observation or Construction Management and specifically Transportation/ Highway related projects? Are you looking to take a lead in our organization and grow your career to the next level?
Get the conversation started by applying today.
Our comprehensive benefits program covers what you need: Company vehicle, phone reimbursement, health/dental/vision insurance, 401K with company match, Paid Time Off, AND what you want: Educational Assistance, annual paid volunteering time, work- life balance scheduling options, and fitness program reimbursements.
HR Green is proud to be an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status, or other classification protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
Please see below for a more detailed Job Description
Responsible for the efficient management, execution, and quality assurance of large Transportation Construction projects and involving highly complex plan preparation. May supervises a staff to evaluate in-place work elements, materials, design details and project related conditions to advise our clients on the recommended course of action to successfully complete projects. All assignments require the use of independent judgment and this individual is considered a subject matter expert in the functional areas of their projects.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Understands and interprets local, state, and/or federal Standard Specifications and Procedures. Answers questions from the contractor and exercises independent judgment when making decisions to apply standards or modify construction plans to fit actual field conditions. Mediates disputes that arise from the interpretation or enforcement of standards.
- Utilizes subject matter expertise to identify the root cause of construction defects caused by design flaws, material installation, or site condition and develops and implements possible solutions. Addresses complex construction issues such as structural issues, mass earthwork, roadway geometries, roadway closure, substitute materials, and utility relocation. Proactively advises client and contractor on the recommended course of action to resolve problems.
- Promotes value engineering by analyzing and evaluating a contractor’s proposal for alternative solutions outside of specs/plan.
- Anticipates necessary work outside of the contract scope. Provides counsel to the client and key stakeholders regarding new approaches and to address problems, materials and methods that could contribute to a better project outcome, speed up the construction schedule, mitigate potential future risk, contribute to a safer jobsite, or save money.
- Builds and fosters ongoing relationships with clients. Communicates with client and contractor to make recommendations and resolve challenges related to the project schedule, plan changes, and additional costs. Mediates project related matters with the contractor on behalf of the client.
- Manage relations with groups including government agencies, employees, residents, business owners, and the community to help build and maintain positive relationships with the public. Helps clients maintain a positive image and identity.
- Responsible for the financial stewardship of the client by interpreting quality control checks, assisting in the development of the pay estimate, quantifying pay items on projects and settling accounting disputes with the contractor on behalf of our client. Can use independent discretion to recommend withholding payment from the contractor on work that does not conform to specs.
- Observes and documents the contractor’s work to record that is being completed in conformance with the plans and specifications, contract documents, and applicable local, state, and/or federal regulatory requirements. Performs quality assurance checks and advises contractor of the best course of action when work or materials are not in compliance with requirements.
- Perform Constructability Reviews which includes identifying generic, outdated or non-buildable elements and makes recommendations to designer. Works with the leadership to implement improvements and training programs, Develops best practices (construction manual, safety committees, quality control documents, field report forms);
- Provides day-day direction and supervision to subordinate staff and evaluates their performance.
- Plans, coordinates and supervises the work of subconsultants to enforce the project scope and approve invoices for payment.
- Leads progress meetings and attends city board meetings with the client, HR Green staff and other key stakeholders.
- Quickly reacts to complex situations with the client or projects as they arise. Makes on the spot decisions using independent discretion and judgment.
- Performs yield checks, depth checks, and utility testing. Performs basic construction layout work (including bench circuits and providing line and grade for various construction elements). Additionally, be proficient in the use of computers and word processing software (Word, Excel, etc.).
- Assists in the development of the budget/contract, processes RFI’s, change orders and maintains neat and accurate project documentation (field book notes and measurements, field reports, project binders, etc) for large projects. Prepares project records for formal audits by funding agencies.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education and/or Experience
- For a Technician Position: Bachelors Degree or the equivalent combination of education and experience is required. Construction Management degree is preferred.
- For an Engineer Position: Bachelor of Science degree (B.S.) or equivalent in Engineering is required. A Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering is preferred. P.E. License in the state you are working is required
- 5-7 years of experience managing construction projects with a minimum of 2 years in a supervisory role working with moderately complex construction plans is required.
- Experience working on complex transportation and/or water construction jobs.
- Previous supervisory/management experience and outstanding conflict resolution skills are preferred.
- Familiarity with documentation requirements and inspection procedures is preferred.
- Understands complex construction issues, including structural issues, mass earthwork, and roadway geometry.
- Understands basic surveying, including horizontal and vertical control.
- Understands material terminology and design.
- Excellent time management, communication, and technical skills are required.
- Must have received training on equipment commonly used in the generation of engineering-related tests and analysis.
- Must possess knowledge of MS Office suite of products
Job Type: Full-time