Canada’s premier product design firm is looking for a rockstar Mechanical Designer to join the MAKO Design + Invent family to be a great addition to our energetic, growing, modern, and exciting company. The ideal candidate will have extensive experience in completing the mechanical designs of physical consumer products such as homeware, tools, consumer electronics, medical products, etc. You will be responsible for managing the design activities from concept to prototype development and into production.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Consult with clients during project kick-off meetings to gather mechanical design requirements and goals
- Provide mechanical guidance to ensure product design intent, integrity, and quality of execution is maintained throughout the development process
- Contribute to the formulation of the product design vision of a new product
- Communicate and demonstrate all aspects of product design through a variety of media avenues appropriate to the stages of development including sketches, CAD renderings, development models, CAD model, engineering drawings, printed design documents, and design presentations
- Function with minimal supervision in executing the assigned projects, including decision making, working with outside consultants, and project management software.
- Working with Electrical and Mechanical Engineers and Industrial Designers to bring new products to market
- Managing multiple simultaneous projects and several staff members
- All other related tasks as needed
Qualifications and Experience required for a Mechanical Designer
- Associate or Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering Technology or a similar field
- Previous experience completing the mechanical design on many consumer products, prototyping these projects and taken many of them to production
- You’re creative, passionate, and love designing intuitive and innovative physical consumer products
- SolidWorks preferred but not essential
- Knowledge of common consumer product regulations is an asset
- Can handle multiple different tasks throughout the day (it's a very fast-paced and ever-changing role)
- High level of discretion, particularly when dealing in confidential matters
- Strong attention to detail, with accuracy & thoroughness in all work
- Able to handle a high volume or time-sensitive tasks (A high level of time management skills is essential)
- Ability to multitask and prioritize in a fast-paced environment
MAKO is Canada’s largest and premier product design firm. Winner of Growth500, Inc5000, Entrepreneur360, Lux Top ID Firm in North America, CreativePool award, and many more. We are a progressive and modern full-service physical consumer product industrial design & engineering firm working out of creative open-concept office spaces in downtown Toronto, Miami, and Austin. We work with clients to bring their visions into reality by focusing on the elements of their project that matter most to ensure they have the best chance at market success - From concept to design, prototyping to patenting, and production to store shelves. We are fast-paced, forward-thinking, and constantly challenging ourselves to be the best of the best. Our clients count on the fact that we are extremely dedicated to their projects. Our team members genuinely take ownership and personal pride in the projects they get to work on.
Why work for the best of the best in Canadian product design? Here are a few reasons:
- FlexDays (shift your workday up or back).
- Want to work in Miami or Austin for the week? Go for it!
- Beer O’Clock every Friday (A Mako tradition since the early 2000s).
- Free learning/courses/ etc. about whatever you want to perfect your craft.
- Earn occasional work from home days over time.
- And of course, working with hundreds of awesome products and startups!
How to Apply:
If you’re interested in joining the MAKO Design and Invent family send us your cover letter and resume (tell us why you would love to work at MAKO Design and Invent, why you would be best for the role and something interesting about you). We’re really excited to learn more about you!
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those being considered for an interview will be contacted(don’t worry, it won’t be your usual stuffy interview!).
MAKO Design and Invent is committed to diversity and inclusivity in employment. MAKO Design and Invent is also committed to accommodating applicants with disabilities during the recruitment, assessment and selection process. Please notify us if you require accommodation with respect to the materials or procedures used at any time during this process. If you require an accommodation, MAKO Design and Invent will work with you to determine how to meet your needs.
Job Type: Full-time
- relevant: 3 years (Preferred)
- Mechanical Design: 3 years (Preferred)