BUFFALO BOARD OF EDUCATION
DEPARTMENT OF HUMAN RESOURCES
ROOM 720 CITY HALL
BUFFALO, NEW YORK 14204
CONTINUOUS POSTING 2020-2021 SCHOOL YEAR
BUFFALO BOARD OF EDUCATION VACANCY
Civil Service Residency Requirements will apply
Chief Engineer Custodian - Continuous Posting
$41,164 - $48,396
Plant Operations - Various School Locations
CANDIDATES FOR THIS POSITION SHOULD COMPLETE AN APPLICATION AVAILABLE ONLINE AT www.buffaloschools.org
Applications successfully received will generate a confirmation email to the account listed on the application. If you do not receive a confirmation email, we cannot guarantee that your application was received. You must submit an application until you receive a confirmation email.
DISTINGUlSHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS
The incumbent has responsible charge of the custodial and operational work of a large school building. This is a highly important custodial- engineering position involving responsibility for the efficient and economic maintenance of a large school building. A position in this class entails dual responsibility for supervising the operation of a high-pressure power plant and for directing the activities of a cleaning and janitorial force of considerable size. This position differs from that of First Class Engineer-Custodian by its markedly greater supervisory responsibilities due to its location at a larger plant requiring a greater technical knowledge of power plant operation and general building custodianship. General supervision is received from a higher ranking administrative officer, allowing considerable leeway in planning work programs, in dealing with operating problems and in keeping buildings and equipment up to approved standards of operation.
TYPICAL WORK ACTIVITIES
- Plans and directs the work of subordinate employees in the operation and maintenance of boilers, pumps, stokers, coal conveyors, steam and water piping and other electrical and mechanical equipment in the heating plant;
- Directs the cleaning of buildings and maintenance of grounds;
- Prepares and administers the annual budget for facility relating to plant operations including salaries and payroll, equipment and supplies, and cost of services;
- Requisitions, receives and accounts for equipment, materials and supplies;
- -maintains inventories and necessary cost records and budget data;
- Keeps time records and prepares payrolls for employees employed by the Chief Engineer Custodian;
- -maintains various records concerning salaries, deductions, etc.;
- Receives and handles a variety of requests and complaints from the school principals;
- Has charge of the discipline, selection and removal of steam plant personnel in accordance with provisions of the collective bargaining agreement and subject to final decision by division head;
- Authorizes and, if necessary, supervises the maintenance and repair work to school heating plant and equipment;
- Operates a personal computer or computer terminal using application programs;
- Assists in the preparation of the annual budget;
- Monitors and inspects work performed by private contractors including electrical, plumbing and heating to ascertain that results conform with specifications;
- Performs related work as required.
FULL PERFORMANCE KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS
- Thorough knowledge of the construction, operation and maintenance of heating plant and auxiliary equipment;
- Thorough knowledge of building cleaning and maintenance tasks, practices, supplies and equipment;
- Thorough knowledge of costs and standards in relation to custodial operations; Good knowledge of the tools, terminology and practices of one or more of the skilled trades;
- Working knowledge of budget, payroll and bookkeeping procedures and office practices; Ability to plan, assign and supervise the work of employees; Ability to maintain complete and accurate records;
- Ability to prepare and analyze reports
- Ability to operate a personal computer or computer terminal using application programs;
- Physical condition commensurate with the demands of the position.
(A) Continuous and permanent status in the Board of Education as a First Class Engineer-Custodian for one year;
(B) Continuous and permanent status in any city department as a Senior Housing Project Engineer, Senior First Class Stationary Engineer or Principal Chief Stationary Engineer for three years.
In addition, all candidates qualifying under (B) must have at least two years of full-time stationary engineer experience in a supervisory capacity where work involves the operation and maintenance of a large building or plant, including heating, plumbing, electrical, janitorial.
(A) Associate's Degree from an accredited college or university in Building Management and Maintenance or a closely related field and five years of full-time stationary engineering experience, three years of which must have been in a supervisory capacity where work involves the operation and maintenance of a building or plant including heating, plumbing, electrical, and janitorial;
(B) Graduation from High School, GED or Equivalency Diploma and seven years of full-time stationary engineering experience, three years of which must have been in a supervisory capacity where work involves the operation and maintenance of a building or plant including heating, plumbing, electrical, and janitorial;
- An equivalent combination as defined within the limits of A and B.
Verifiable part-time experience will be pro-rated to meet full-time experience requirements.
Special Requirement for both Promotional and Open-Competitive
Possession of a current Chief Stationary Engineer's License issued by the City of Buffalo and must be presented at time of filing application and maintained during employment
Ms. Jamie Warren
Associate Superintendent for Human Resources