Work with Engineers and department personnel to learn Gear & Spindle manufacturing and support processes and perform associated / assigned duties. May utilize methods involved in manufacturing to perform engineering, die design and improvements, maintenance, set-up, production, clerical or other duties for the Morristown, TN facility.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Provides engineering support for hot forging shop floor support and recommendations to improve forging tooling, processes and safety.
- Provides engineering support to find root cause and implement actions to resolve customer complaints
- Develops continuous improvement ideas to increase tool life, operator safety and reduce manufacturing cost
- Supports designs of forging dies and part progressions using CATIA, Pro E or company provided 3D CAD program to meet customer specifications and expectations.
- Using CAD software, develop in house process prints from start to finished part according to standard practices.
- Works closely with line personnel to ensure newly developed parts and tooling are correctly installed and functioning properly.
- Provides manufacturability recommendations for new parts.
- Creates work and/or gauging instructions designed to verify processing quality and prevent non- conformities from being passed on to next operations.
- Prepares engineering documents, procedures and work instructions as needed.
- Develops/Optimizes process flow to increase efficiency of operation.
- Prepares reports concerning departmental activities as required.
- Participates in meetings, seminars, and training sessions as needed to learn processes and developments in the manufacturing of Meritor products.
- May meet with outside vendors and/or represent Meritor to internal and external customers / companies.
- May operate machine tools / produce product.
- Performs other assignments as instructed by Department Management
- Assist in Lean Manufacturing implementation and apply techniques such as Value Stream Maps, PIE events, Visual Management, Standard Work, Lost Time Analysis, AVIS, Standard Work Instruction, etc.
- Justify, prepare and manage capital projects and assists with capital budgeting.
- Evaluates manufacturing plants layout, flow of material, best practices, potential design changes, specifications, and drawing releases. Coordinate directly with plants and vendors concerning plant or product change and quality concerns.
- Works overtime as needed.
QUALIFICATIONS To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
· Must be confrontable working with associates on shop floor to identify issues and solutions
· High sense of urgency to complete actions to support shop floor
· Good problem solving and process improvement skills
· Experience trouble shooting manufacturing issues on the shop floor
- Knowledge of tooling materials, heat treatment and lubrication to improve die life
- Knowledge of machinery and equipment
- Experience looking at customer print requirements and determine if in process parts will meet customer requirements.
- Advance blueprint reading
- Experience in MS Windows Applications
- Proficient with 3D design software I.E. Pro-E, Catia, Solid Works, a plus
- Positive attitude, Ethics, and Values which support our company’s values and a healthy, high performance culture
- Team player but able to work with cross functions to get the job done.
- Bachelor of Science in Engineering
- Manufacturing/Process improvement experience
- Basic to intermediate knowledge of CNC programming
- Experience with lean manufacturing, automation, robotics, and design for manufacture
- DEFORM simulation software, 5-Axis hard milling programming, CNC programming a plus
- Experience in forging a plus
- Hot, Warm or Cold forging experience, designing forging dies and part progressions to make parts per customer prints
- Experience working with induction heater, graphite lubrication, temperature, and tool setting on forging quality as plus
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $72,500.00 - $108,800.00 per year
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Employee discount
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Health savings account
- Paid time off
- Parental leave
- Referral program
- Relocation assistance
- Retirement plan
- Tuition reimbursement
- Vision insurance
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Morristown, TN 37813: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Required)
- Manufacturing: 5 years (Required)
- Engineering/Manufacturing: 5 years (Required)
Work Location: One location