This position is responsible for supporting and managing Burlington Electric Department’s servers, and local and wide area networks. Responsibilities include ensuring the stability, integrity, and secure operation of critical in-house and cloud-based systems and networks, as well as ensuring that systems, applications, and process work streams meet the information technology needs of BED’s individual business units.
Union: International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers (IBEW).
Burlington Electric is currently recruiting for one (1) Systems and Network Engineer. Depending on the qualified experience of the applicants will determine if we hire a Systems and Network Engineer II or III.
Essential Job Functions
- Install, configure, and maintain Windows and Linux systems in physical, virtual, and cloud environments.
- Install, configure, and maintain a variety of business and enterprise servers and applications such as CIS, FIS, AMI, MDM/Billing, GIS, and OMS.
- Install, configure, and maintain information technology and networking infrastructure for Smart Grid, supervisory control, and data acquisition (SCADA) system, and generation facilities.
- Install, configure, and maintain backend system security using a variety of security tools.
- Install, configure, and maintain network infrastructure including, but not limited to the setup and configuration of switches, wireless, firewalls, routers, VPNs, ISP connectivity, as well as various field network technologies and IOT devices.
- Maintain an up-to-date database of all technology assets to be used for inventory control, budget planning, cyber security, and compliance.
- Manage Microsoft Active Directory domains, Office 365 and AD Connect.
- Manage DHCP, DNS, certificate authorities and other related security and authentication systems.
- Manage internal data center compute, storage, and networking technologies as well as cloud solutions from SaaS, IaaS, and PaaS vendors.
- Support the development and adherence to policies, standards, and procedures to ensure the performance, availability, integrity of all systems and networks.
- Support the development and adherence to policies, standards, and procedures to advance corporate-wide cybersecurity efforts and ensure the security of all technology systems.
- Work with employees in various departments to facilitate the effective use of information technology, provide timely resolutions to problems, document new information technology needs, compile budgetary proposals, support purchasing and implementation.
- Build knowledge of business processes and workflows to support optimal use of business technology.
- Work with hardware and software vendors to document product roadmaps and ensure alignment with long range business priorities.
- Coordinate and install updates, patches, new releases and/or perform any preventive maintenance necessary to ensure the reliable and secure operation of hardware and software in area of responsibility.
- Create and maintain backup and disaster recovery procedures in area of responsibility.
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge and comply with internal policies and procedures, applicable regulatory standards, and industry best practices.
- Create and maintain complete documentation including where applicable, end user documentation, systems and network diagrams, operational and process flow diagrams, troubleshooting and maintenance reports.
- Collaborate as a member of the IS team sharing information, mentoring, cross-training, and providing coverage as directed by the supervisor.
- Performs other duties as required.
Qualifications/Basic Job Requirements
- Ability to actively support City diversity, equity, and cultural competency efforts within stated job responsibilities and work effectively across diverse cultures and constituencies.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion as evidenced by ongoing trainings and professional development.
- Proof of COVID-19 vaccination required, reasonable accommodations will be considered.
- Bachelor of Science degree in Computer Science, IT, or related field with 5 years of experience in an information technology role responsible for servers and networks.
- Additional experience may be substituted for a degree requirement on a two-for-one-year basis.
- Direct experience managing Windows server operating systems and Microsoft Active Directory domains.
- Direct experience managing Linux server operating systems, i.e., Red Hat Linux Enterprise, Server/Centos or Ubuntu.
- Direct experience with virtualization and cloud technologies, i.e., VMWare, Hyper-V, Azure,
- Amazon AWS.
- Direct experience with setup, configuration, and maintenance of IPV4/IPV6, DHCP, DNS, RADIUS, VPN, 802.11, VoIP, VLANs, SSL, MFA.
- Direct experience with setup, configuration, and maintenance of switches, routers, firewalls, and wireless technology, i.e., Cisco, HP/Aruba, Dell, RuggedCom, FortiGate.
- Direct experience with scripting, i.e., batch files, VBscript, and PowerShell.
- Experience managing database systems, i.e., Oracle, MS SQL, MySQL, PostgreSQL preferred.
- Advanced knowledge of IBM AS400 mid-range computing environment and operating system, RPG, and CL preferred.
- Must possess excellent oral, written and analytical skills.
- Ability to provide technical presentations and training as needed.
- Ability to establish and maintain positive working relationships with co-workers, customers, and other personnel.
- Ability to work effectively in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
- Ability to multi-task, working under minimal supervision, and adapt quickly to changing priorities and deadlines.
- Ability to travel to and from various sites within the City of Burlington.
- Ability to work beyond the normal forty (40) hours work week as needed consistent with provisions of the BED/IBEW Collective Bargaining Agreement.
- Regular attendance is necessary and is essential to meeting the expectations of the job functions.
- Ability to understand and comply with City standards, safety rules and personnel policies.
Promoting a culture that reveres diversity and equity.
The City of Burlington is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and we are strongly committed to creating a dynamic and equitable work-force that mirrors the population and world that we serve. We do not discriminate on the basis of political or religious affiliation, race, color, national origin, place of birth, ancestry, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, crime victim status, veteran status, disability, HIV positive status, or genetic information in employment or the provision of services.
In addition to being an equal opportunity employer we actively encourage applicants who can contribute to our growing diversity to apply.
Applications for our employment opportunities are only accepted online through our Government Jobs website.
For accessibility information or alternative formats, please contact Human Resources Department at 802-540-3057 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The City of Burlington is proud to offer full time employees a comprehensive benefits program that includes:
Medical/Dental Insurance Coverage
Prescription Drug Coverage
Flexible Spending Programs
Short-Term Disability Insurance
Paid Leave (Sick and Vacation)
Contributory Retirement Plan
Employee Assistance Program
Discounted Gym Memberships
Education benefits through Champlain College
Employee Assistance Program
Wellness Bonus Program
Local Resort Discounts
Subsidized Transportation Options
For additional details please visit https://www.burlingtonvt.gov/HR
Location: BED - 585 Pine Street,Burlington,VT, Burlington, VT
Job Type: Full-time