SOLUT! is a rapidly growing manufacturer of thermoformed paper packaging products headquartered in Lewis Center, OH. The Product Design Engineer will assist in the design and development of creative product designs and development of both paper and plastic thermoformed food packaging products and tooling in collaboration with the VP of Product Development and the Sales team.
Product Design Engineer responsibilities include:
- Manage & participate in multiple projects, priorities and resources simultaneously in a compressed time frame manufacturing environment
- Conducts all phases of product development as needed to achieve successful timing, quality and completion. Including documenting and following all specification and product development procedures required by SQF 2000.
- Hands-on including design, material testing and developing and forming prototype samples
- Maintains direct interaction with the Sales team and clients during the development of new products
- Interprets customer requirements into functional and manufacturable designs
- Works directly with plastic thermoforming suppliers in the design, development and testing of plastic thermoformed products
- Develops product specifications for newly developed and existing products
- Supports production facilities to drive product improvement, cost reduction and product specification efforts
- Guides personnel for prototypes, samples, tests and trials; evaluates samples for proper form-fit-function per customer requirements and provides reporting and analysis of new products
- Supports plant personnel and VP Product Development with tooling assembly and testing as needed during prototyping and or new product start-ups.
- Responsible for creation and maintenance of all tooling Bill of Materials
- Review and approve Tooling PM’s and advise on work
The ideal candidate will have the following skills:
- Customer Focus: knows the customer is always first; strives for high customer satisfaction; goes out of the way to be helpful; manages difficult customer situations; responds promptly to customer needs
- Integrity: Supports Compliance programs and company culture. Maintains confidentiality; inspires trust and respect; does the right thing
- Teamwork: Works well in group situations; supports everyone’s efforts to succeed; contributes to building a positive team environment; shares expertise with others
- Communication: Balances listening and talking; speaks and writes clearly and accurately; influences others; communicates changes and progress; participates in meetings
- Data & process driven decision making: Applies design principles; quality problem solving; develops alternate solutions; develops realistic action plans; develops strategies to achieve organization goals
- Urgency without frenzy: Generates creative solutions; manages competing demands and unexpected events; excels at multi-tasking and prioritization, adapts strategy to changing conditions; prioritizes and plans work activities; sets goals and objectives.
- Accountability: Takes ownership of work; does what is needed without being asked; follows through; takes responsibility for own actions.
- Mechanical Aptitude: Must possess a high-level understanding of mechanical processes, tooling construction and function, manufacturing processes & equipment along with good visualization and problem-solving skills.
- Associates Degree in Engineering or equivalent experience
- 5+ years of experience with specific background working in Thermoformed paper and/or plastic product and tool engineering
- Proficient in 3D Modeling, SolidWorks preferred, Pro E/Autodesk Inventor or similar 3D software acceptable
- Proficient in 2D design using Solidworks, Autocad or similar 2D software
- Prototyping skills (basic machine shop skills) and knowledge of paper and/or plastic materials, processes and materials
- Demonstrates creative problem-solving around product design and tooling design/debug
- Knowledge of a Global Food Safety Initiative (GFSI) preferably SQF 2000
- Knowledge of food safety, food defense, GMP, HACCP and overall quality of products being produced
- Proficient in MS Office Suite
SOLUT! was founded in 2005 with the bold vision to provide innovative, sustainable paper-based food packaging solutions to the food service industries. In fact, our company name SOLUT! was created to emphasize the core of our business model: providing creative solut!ons. As manufacturers, we pride ourselves in delivering industry leading levels of service and quality to our customers; and doing so while providing them the integrity, honesty, and respect that they deserve and appreciate. Our products represent the ultimate in combining sustainable, paper-based, environmentally friendly food packaging as functional alternatives to plastic and foil; and can be found in food markets across the country including Sam's Costco, Starbucks, and Panera Bread.
We are committed to our healthy and inspiring work environment that encourages individual growth and opportunity. We deeply believe that the only way to provide outstanding service with integrity, honesty, and respect to our customers is by providing that same integrity, honestly and respect to all of our associates. We provide an excellent compensation package with comprehensive benefits to our full-time associates which includes health, vision, dental, life and disability insurance. Additionally, we provide generous performance bonuses, significant company 401(K) contributions, 11 paid holidays, and considerable amounts of PTO. Base compensation for this position is competitive and will commensurate with related experience as a Product Design Engineer.
Job Type: Full-time
- Product Design Engineering: 5 years (Preferred)
- Have you ever worked with thermoformed paper and/or plastic products?
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Retirement plan
- Paid time off
- Parental leave
- Tuition reimbursement