The Electro-Mechanical Project Engineering position is a challenging and critical position within our design team for a variety of aerospace electro-mechanical motion control devices. Specific responsibilities related to the mechanical aspects of the product design include designing housings, gears, gear-sets and gearboxes (i.e. Planetary, Spur, Differential, Bevel, Helical, etc.), Power Transmission Screws (i.e. Ball Screws, Acme Screws, Planetary Roller Screws, etc.), all types of bearings configurations, structural loads, fits/clearances, material selection, drawing checking, thermal analysis, product weight optimization, etc. With respect to the electrical scope of work it is expected that the successful candidate should understand motors (AC, Brush DC and Brushless DC), sensors (Hall Effect, Encoder and Resolver), position sensing, velocity and load sensing devices, open and closed loop control systems, high frequency response servo applications, relays, switches, analog and digital control. The candidate should also understand pneumatic and hydraulic systems.
The ideal candidate will be a generalist with both analytical and intuitive skills that can delve deeper into all aspects of a design, work with customers to formulate their requirements and understand the implications within the application. The candidate will manage each application includes the full product life cycle (proposal, design, development, verification, and product support). The candidate will lead the design team and has the responsibility to ensure that designs meet program cost, schedule, and performance requirements. In addition, this candidate will manage our design workflow process.
- Create Mechanical Engineering (ME) inputs for conceptual trade studies and detailed proposal efforts
- Create details calculations on all aspects of the product (gear analysis, motor and system performance, sensor analysis, stiffness, backlash, life, temperature and thermal capacity studies) using Excel and other analytical programs.
- Created detailed layouts in 2D and/or 3D for new applications
- Create and perform ME for product design, including checking review/approve detailed piece part drawings with tolerance and thermal studies
- Create Reliability Studies, fault trees, FMECA’s, System Safety and Hazard Assessment, etc.
- Work cooperatively to provide ME technical support to manufacturing, suppliers, or customers
- Define, design, and support electromechanical and mechanical test equipment for each product application
- The candidate must also be hands on and willing to work in the shop environment to build prototypes and support production issues.
- Define the scope of work and oversee the effort of Designers and Drafters (Drafting, Materials Engineering, Stress Analysis, Dynamic Analysis, etc.).
- B.S. in Mechanical Engineering or Equivalent Degree
- Specific experience of 10+ years in an applicable environment
- Aerospace Experience of 5+ years minimum.
- Specific knowledge of closed loop motion control systems is a plus.
- Demonstrated leadership skills through example, mentoring and running multifaceted design teams.
- Specific capability in the following software:
- Matlab Simulink
- Relex (Windchill)
- Microsoft Products, including advanced knowledge of Excel & PowerPoint
- Exceptional analytical and mathematical background.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills.
- Knowledge of Aerospace Military and Commercial design requirements.
- Knowledge of Aerospace material selection methods.
- Knowledge of manufacturing processes and methods.
- Knowledge of aerospace design and drafting standards.
- Knowledge of Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T) (ANSI Y14.5M)
- Knowledge of certification/qualification testing per DO-160 or MIL-STD-810
- U.S. Citizen (No Dual Citizenship)
- The ability to obtain a government security clearance, if required.
DESIRABLE EXPERIENCE & KNOWLEDGE
- Knowledge of the principles of DFMA is highly desirable.
- Knowledge of design principles that utilize additive manufacturing is a plus.
- Knowledge of SolidWorks Enterprise PDM is a plus.
- Knowledge of Space environments is a plus
- Knowledge of Land and Sea based systems is a plus.
- Knowledge of design for harsh environments is a plus.Potential Backgrounds
- Small to mid-sized military, aerospace and space companies which operate in a low volume high mix environment are likely to produce this type of candidate. In addition to aerospace experience, experience in machine tool, mechanical actuation or cell automation is a plus. The candidate needs to be extremely versatile and able to multitask.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $60,000.00 to $90,000.00 /year
- Aerospace Mechanical Engineering: 5 years (Required)
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Retirement plan
- Paid time off
This Company Describes Its Culture as:
- Detail-oriented -- quality and precision-focused
- People-oriented -- supportive and fairness-focused
- Team-oriented -- cooperative and collaborative