At Dominion Energy we love our jobs. That’s right. Love. Every day we go to work filled with passion to be excellent, to creatively problem solve and to innovate. These are exciting days for energy companies, and Dominion Energy aims to shape the future of energy in America. We are looking at all of our work with fresh eyes, retooling everything we do, in every part of the company, to operate more sustainably and to deliver energy more reliably than ever. We are looking for interesting, independent thinkers and doers who can help shape the culture of a forward-looking company that’s proud of its rich legacy. Are you a change agent? Do you think differently? Do you want to fall in love with your job? If you answered “yes,” then read on!
The company is actively seeking the United States military veterans and service members who meet the qualifications outlined below.
At this time, Dominion Energy cannot transfer nor sponsor a work visa for this position.
This position does not offer relocation assistance.
This job is in the Central Region Grid Planning Department located at 7500 West Broad Street in Richmond, VA. Based on the qualifications of the successful candidate, the position will be filled at the entry- or mid-level (Engineer I or II). There is one position which will be filled at the level commensurate with the successful candidates’ education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities
Entry or developmental level position providing engineering support in designated company area, or specific engineering discipline. Perform engineering calculations, analysis, research and design. Under direction of supervisor or work leader, performs routine assignments designed to develop professional engineering work knowledge, gain familiarity with techniques, approaches, practices and the nature of engineering systems, equipment, etc. and to develop the ability to apply fundamental engineering principles and techniques, procedures and criteria in carrying out sequence of related engineering tasks. Limited exercise of judgment is required on details of work and in making preliminary selections and adaptations of engineering alternatives.
SPECIFIC to this role:
The position is responsible for load planning, contingency planning, long term planning, and reliability performance for the delivery system. The candidate will analyze load and reliability data and determine appropriate solutions to improve the architecture on the system to mitigate overload conditions and enhance reliability, either at the circuit level or substation transformer level. The candidate will develop a long term outlook plan for assigned Grid Planning areas as well.
Primary Responsibilities for Both:
- Develop annual facility load projections for both distribution circuits and transformers
- Identify normal thermal overload conditions on distribution circuits and distribution substation transformers through load projections
- Utilize Synergi (Distribution Software) to preform load flow modeling to identify thermal and reliability issues on the electric distribution system
- Understand summer and winter substation transformer contingency concepts
- Develop protective device defeat at peak settings (DAP) for Loop Scheme automation
- Develop Project Scopes and estimates to solve thermal overload conditions that occur at peak operating times
- Develop Project Scopes and estimates to improve poor service reliability, power quality issues, and equipment failures
- Support preventive maintenance programs; thermography, switch and recloser replacements on the distribution system
- Review detailed project scopes and cost estimates for identified solutions for DG Interconnects on circuits and substations in your grid planning areas
- Perform voltage study analysis using Synergi (Distribution Software) and recommend corrective actions on existing circuits or proposed circuits.
- Provide technical assistance to ROC and Operations on circuit or transformer planned outages or emergency outages when requested
- Respond to customer, corporate, and regulatory inquiries. Prepare supporting correspondence, reports, and presentations
- Perform other duties which include participating in Storm Restoration, representing Distribution at outside group meetings, and required operational activities.
Required Knowledge, Skills, Abilities & Experience
Please make sure all skills and qualifications are listed on your resume in order to be considered
0 to 2 years of directly related engineering experience
3 or more years directly related engineering experience
Must meet educational requirements to hold an Engineer title at Dominion Energy (refer to education section)
A partial year of related work experience of 6 months or greater will be considered one year towards the qualifications. A Masters Degree can count as one year experience.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of electric distribution facilities
- Proficient in or ability to learn modeling application skills such as Synergi.
- Good understanding of AC fundamentals and three-phase power systems.
- Ability to think analytically and solve technical problems.
- Effective oral, interpersonal and written communication skills.
- Effective decision making skills
- Solid team player and works well with others.
- Self-motivator who has the ability to work cooperatively in a team environment, but is also comfortable with working independently to get things done.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills.
- Ability to react promptly to urgent matters.
- Ability to effectively manage multiple tasks
- Valid driver's license
Bachelor's of Engineering. Electrical Engineering preferred.
For placement of a candidate in the Engineer job series, the following criteria must be met:
Possess a 4-year engineering degree from an ABET accredited engineering program based on the year that the engineering program was accredited by ABET, or
Possess a 4-year engineering degree from an institution outside of the U.S. which is accredited through the country's own engineering accrediting body under the Washington Accord as a full signatory, and is a degree that was recognized by the country's accrediting body on or after the date that full signatory status was achieved, or
Possess a 4-year engineering degree from a non-ABET accredited program and a post-graduate engineering degree from an institution where the undergraduate degree in the same engineering discipline is ABET accredited based on the year the engineering program was accredited by ABET, or
Possess a 4-year degree in Physics, Chemistry or Math and a post-graduate engineering degree from an institution where the undergraduate degree in the same engineering discipline is ABET accredited based on the year the engineering program was accredited by ABET, or
Holds or has previously held a valid U.S. Professional Engineer license.
Cold Up to 25%
Energized Wires Up to 25%
Heat Up to 25%
Loud Noise Up to 25%
Office Work Environment 76 -100%
Operating Machinery Up to 25%
Radiation Up to 25%
Travel Up to 25%
No Testing Required
Certain positions at Dominion Energy may involve access to information and technology subject to export controls under U.S. law. Compliance with these export controls may result in Dominion Energy limiting its consideration of certain applicants.
We offer excellent plans and programs for employees. Employees are rewarded with a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package which may include: health benefits with coverage for families and domestic partners, vacation, retirement plans, paid holidays, tuition reimbursement, and much more. To learn more about our benefits, click here dombenefits.com.
Dominion Energy is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to a diverse workforce. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their protected veteran or disabled status.
You can experience the excitement of our company – it's the difference between taking a job and starting a career.