06/21/2021 - 07/19/2021
Publishing Services Department
The Machine Translation Localization Engineer takes lead responsibility for rollout, maintenance, customization, and enhancement of the Church’s machine translation engines, including related technologies. This is a technical role with a strong operational component; key collaborators work in software development roles for the Church’s Information and Computer Systems Department, and in other localization engineering and production operations roles within the Publishing Services Department. The operational nature of this role requires the individual who occupies it to have a deep understanding of industry best practices in machine translation and a capacity for reaching defined objectives within the broader Translation Division strategy. It will be especially important for this individual to be able to communicate with both technical and non-technical audiences.
A successful Machine Translation Localization Engineer will proactively seek solutions to help the Church reach its translation goals, both in terms of leveraging existing processes and tools and investigating and implementing new processes and tools. Qualified individuals will demonstrate a background in managing machine translation systems and processes in a way that has a measurable positive impact on their organizations. In turn, they will be able to consult from a well-informed point of view with other teams and individuals on any initiatives related to machine translation.
PROCESS SUPPORT AND IMPROVEMENTS – 60%
- Participate directly in the rollout, maintenance, customization, and enhancement of machine translation engines.
- Assist with the adoption of MT post-editing best practices throughout language offices.
- Document and distribute information about machine translation developments, including KPIs related to machine translation performance.
- Troubleshoot, investigate, and resolve issues related to machine translation systems and the quality of their output, ensuring all issues are recorded, undergo a root cause analysis, and have documented corrective actions.
- Interface and collaborate with internal and external partners to create and implement cost savings, risk reduction, and efficiency-based machine translation solutions, including in MT post-editing and raw MT scenarios.
- Monitor machine translation trends and suggest, create, develop, and implement process changes as appropriate and approved by management.
- Develop tools and scripts to improve machine translation processes.
CROSS-FUNCTIONAL CONSULTING – 20%
- Advise Translation Division management on opportunities for machine translation improvements.
- Consult with stakeholders in ICS and PSD on machine translation implementation.
- Perform industry research to ensure the Church maintains the most current machine translation practices.
PROJECT SUPPORT – 20%
- Assess translation products and projects for the applicability and suitability of machine translation.
- Investigate opportunities for project-level machine translation optimizations in conjunction with other localization engineers and production operations staff.
- Troubleshoot and resolve project-level machine translation issues.
Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Computational Linguistics, Language Technologies, Localization, or equivalent work experience.
7+ years of experience in localization and computer-assisted translation tools, preferably including at least 3 years working directly with machine translation.
- Working knowledge of coding/scripting, and regular expressions; proven experience of creatively solving problems by writing scripts, macros and deploying tools.
- Experience customizing machine translation engines preferred.
- Experience working with machine translation vendors preferred.
- Working knowledge of at least one language other than English .
- Experience with markup languages including HTML, XML, and XLIFF.
- Working knowledge of RWS/SDL WorldServer, RWS/SDL Trados Studio or other translation management systems and computer-assisted translation tools.
- Knowledge of encoding, character sets, Unicode, UTF-8.
- Experience managing translation memories and terminology.
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy with the ability to exercise high standards of quality while meeting tight deadlines.
- Excellent analytical skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Strong communication skills (written and verbal).
Must be a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and currently temple worthy.
POSTING NOTICE/MORE INFO.
All positions are subject to close without notice.