Project Manager (Commercial Construction)
BS degree in Engineering or Construction Management or at least 5 years of experience in the commercial construction industry
7-10 years in construction industry as a project manager. Estimating and superintendent experience is valuable. Some field experience is highly recommended.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Manage project using standard operating procedures.
- Provide support, from initial client contact, to assess scope of work and resources required to successfully complete project.
- Assist with preconstruction services for select projects
- Coordinate with estimating on project turnover process.
- Work with superintendent to ensure project is constructed in accordance with design, budget and schedule. Investigate potential situations and proactively implement corrective measures.
- Manage relationships with client, design team, subcontractors and suppliers, etc.
- Responsible for contractual performance of project.
- Responsible for project closeout procedures.
- Maintain sufficient documentation for the project, both hardcopy and electronic formats.
- Adhere to KBS document format standards.
- Perform additional assignments per supervisor’s direction.
This requires collaboration across multiple functional organization interfaces working closely with designers, engineers, subcontractors, suppliers, and owners. It further demands proactive risk identification and timely decision making to assure successful mitigation.
We are looking for a highly-motivated individual with strong team leadership skills who is interested in helping the team develop, lead and maintain our Project Management department in our Topeka or Kansas City Office. The individual must possess excellent interpersonal skills, communicate well, influence effectively, and be comfortable in a highly fluid/ambiguous environment striving for excellence with high integrity.
We offer a full range of benefits including matching 401k, vacation/holiday pay, full family healthcare(paid by KBS), as well as salary and vehicle allowance commensurate to experience.
- Know, understand, and live the KBS Mission, Vision, and Core Values and use them to guide daily activities.
- Bring projects in on-time and on budget.
- Attend “All company”, Leadership trainings and departmental meetings.
- Maintain and keep project budget current. (Budget adjustments, change requests, chance orders, commitment change orders, etc.)
- Maximize efficiency through planning.
- Represent company in a professional manner.
- Maintain positive attitude and help maintain an excellent work environment.
- Be involved in one or more community organizations to promote KBS.
- Meet annual goals.
- Knowledge of Topeka or Kansas City market and proven positive track record with area subcontractors/suppliers
- Experience working on design/build projects
- Strong preference for technical problem solving expertise
- Strong skills in facilitation, issue resolution and decision making across functions in a highly complex environment
- Strong Listening ability; able to hear what is said, understand it, communicate, and engage
- Able to Influence others: decision-making, negotiation, persuasion, problem-solving, and trust/credibility building
- Must be comfortable interacting with senior leadership
- Advanced Knowledge with the following software is valued; Procore, Sage, Outlook, Word, Project & Excel
- Providing excellent communication skills on schedule status and issues to ensure appropriate management & cross-functional team's response to project challenges
- Creation of appropriate governance processes to standardize, streamline, and automate best practices in schedule management, reporting, etc.
- Ability to potentially build a new role in new areas, or successfully expand existing scope
- KBS is a 30-year-old company that has offices in Topeka, KS, Manhattan, KS, and Olathe, KS and we specialize in Critical Environment Construction (CEC). CEC is work where dust, noise, vibration and other items of construction work can cause issues for our clients. Some of our CEC markets are hospitals, data centers & telecom, manufacturing, food grade manufacturing, pharmaceutical manufacturing, senior living and occupied areas.
- KBS does other general contracting work like education, banks, churches, private business, judicial, military and other government agencies.
- KBS offers a competitive salary and benefit package.
- We self-perform demolition, carpentry, drywall, ceilings, doors, frames & hardware, and millwright work.
Job Type: Full-time
- project management: 5 years (Required)
- Health insurance
- Retirement plan
- Paid time off
- Flexible schedule
Company's Facebook page: