AUTOMATION CONTROLS ENGINEER
3 POSITIONS AVAILABLE
As a special machines and automation integrator in the Midwest we are adding to our automation & controls system department. We seek to add three automation controls engineers to our staff. Responsibilities include programming of PLCs, HMI systems, vision systems, and various other industrial automation equipment used in custom designed test stands, automation implementation, and custom designed machinery. Also, generation of electrical schematics including power and heat calculations, Bills of Materials, and build prints using AutoCAD Electrical.
Programming will be primarily related to PLCs, HMIs, vision systems, laser systems, sensors, data acquisition, and other electronic elements, and may include industrial robots such as Fanuc, ABB, and Kawasaki, among others. This candidate will work collaboratively with a team of other controls and mechanical engineers to create and fabricate custom designed solutions. A successful candidate must be able to independently manage projects while being responsible for quality, cost, timeline, and other factors. On-site support and/or installations will often be the final step to complete a project that may require some overnight, or weeklong travel to a customer’s location. The extent of travel is dependent upon the size of the project but is not expected to exceed 20%.
The following list summarizes and outlines some of the responsibilities of this position:
- Direct participation in quoting full automation projects with the Business Development Manager & others
- Provide guidance for most sensible component selection based on project needs
- Participate in project quoting providing educated knowledge of estimated labor usage
- Participate in the creation of schematics, diagrams, and manuals for custom equipment and programs
- Program PLC’s for automation, motion-control, integration of various components, etc.
- Program HMI’s and/or other interfaces
- Integrate and program other electrical and automation components such as: vision systems, laser systems, sensors, actuators, servos, light curtains, emergency stops, and other safety equipment
- Work directly with customers in-person and by other means of communication
- Participate in installation and on-site services of systems at customer locations throughout the Midwest
- Create and maintain the appropriate project documentation including all related engineering and automation drawings
- Perform duties in accordance with timeline, budget, and industrial standards including NFPA 79, RIA 15.06, ISO 13849, and OSHA CPR1910
- Have a working knowledge of Microsoft Office 365 software such as Outlook, Excel, Word, PowerPoint
- Possibly attend trade shows or other sales functions as required or necessary
- Report directly to the engineering manager
The following qualifications are required:
- Formal education and/or equivalent training and/or experience in industrial controls programming
- 3+ years-experience very much preferred
- Allen Bradley, Siemens, and/or Omron programming, others a plus
- Programming experience of Cognex, Keyence, & Solomon products, others a plus
- Programming experience of industrial robots such as ABB, Fanuc, & Kawasaki, others a plus
- AutoCAD Electrical experience a plus
- Experience working with AGVs
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature of this job and the level of work performed by employees in this position. All requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health and safety of themselves or other employees.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties required by their supervisor.
Requirements are representative of minimum levels of knowledge, skills, and abilities. To perform this job successfully the incumbent will possess the abilities or aptitudes to perform each duty proficiently.
This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, and any offer of employment is on an “at will” basis.
Salary will commensurate with experience.
Job Type: Full-time