You’re not likely to find another company like Vermeer. Our people are from all walks of life in locations around the world, rolling up our sleeves and getting tough work done every day. Together. We’re a family-owned and operated company with an unmatched culture, one that is built on the belief that every Vermeer team member has real, personal impact – on our people, our customers and our world. Whoever you are and where you are in your career, Vermeer helps you be Equipped to Do More®.
1 - First Shift
The Engineer I - Design invents, designs, documents, builds and tests new solutions for assigned industry using CAD tools. This role supports design in production, sales, service, troubleshooting and updating. This position is also responsible for analyzing and providing realistic recommendations on structural components to ensure that design meets the design goals and customer needs.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
1. Demonstrate the Vermeer characteristics of caring culture, demonstrating agility, customer focused, and stewardship and model the associated behaviors.
2. Design and detail purchased items, machining, weld and assembly prints using SolidWorks software for performance, reliability, manufacturability, cost effectiveness and safety.
3. Support, supervise and assist Engineering Technicians with all aspects of building and testing prototypes.
4. Analyze production issues and create solutions.
5. Calculate unknown loading and directions where required from data and assumptions.
6. Develop bill of materials (BOM).
7. Test design changes made by technicians.
8. Instruct other users on SolidWorks, PDMWorks, ECN tools and best practices.
Education and/or Experience
- 4-year college degree in Mechanical, Industrial, Agriculture or Electrical Engineering.
- Or other 2 or 4-year college degree with a minimum of 4 years related experience.
Other Skills and Abilities
- Ability to identify the root cause of defective parts of product design solutions, including manufactured and purchased component sizing.
- Knowledge in the FEA, hydraulics, electronics, engine systems, statistics, strength of materials, durability and serviceability of products.
- Ability to create robust design, identify changes early in the design progress and to recognize design commonality.
- Ability to provide informative and professional assistance when working with the public/customers and co-workers and maintain positive interpersonal relationships which encourage openness with customers and peers.
- Ability to operate strain gauge installation materials, fork lift, simple mechanics tools and wrenches, assembly hand tools, drill press, lathe, band saw and assembly power tools.
- Ability to produce accurate, professional and error-free documents in a timely manner.
- Demonstration of good oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to effectively manage time and resources to meet the needs and schedules of internal customers and respond immediately to production questions and crisis with solutions.
- Ability to maintain a high level of attention to detail.
- Ability to understand material strengths, fatigue strength, and manufacturability to ensure that the right configuration and materials are developed.
Certificates, Licenses, Registration
P.E. certificate, Fundamentals of Engineering Examination, or E.I.T and/or equivalent preferred.
Up to 15% domestic and/or international travel by car or plane may be required.
A team member’s day-to-day work is best done on a Vermeer campus. If work content can be occasionally completed at an offsite location, discuss potential arrangements with your manager.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability or veteran status. Applicants requiring a reasonable accommodation due to a disability at any stage of the employment application process should contact Team Member Solutions in human resources at (641) 621-8767 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.