The Roadway Design Engineer will design and coordinate the preparation of plans, specifications, and estimates for various transportation engineering projects involving highways, roadways, streets, and trail design. This position will be based in Thornton, CO office.
- Produce engineering designs for transportation projects, including horizontal and vertical alignment, typical sections, cross sections, and 3D modeling. Duties may include highway and street design, grading and earthwork calculations, stormwater management systems design, traffic engineering, drainage analysis, and environmental coordination.
- Develop accurate, concise, and complete plans, specifications and reports in accordance with engineering best practices. Prepare drawings, sketches and diagrams for engineering projects, using AutoCAD Civil3D and Microstation Openroads software as needed, for further development by project teams.
- Perform technical work associated with design of surface transportation facilities and complete all phases from initial research and planning through final plans. Prepare associated calculations, reports, and spreadsheets.
- Provide quality control reviews and other support to engineering staff, including preparation of cost estimates.
- May lead projects and/or provide project management support.
- Work collaboratively with design team to develop detailed design documents for construction plans.
- Maintain open, positive communication with clients and participate in client meetings.
- Prepare project deliverables within designated timelines.
- May also conduct criteria research, write specifications, and obtain permitting.
- May mentor less experienced designers and Engineers in Training.
- Other duties as assigned.
- B.S. degree in Civil Engineering
- Professional Engineer (P.E.) licensure in Colorado strongly preferred or EIT with 7+ years of related experience.
- Minimum of 5 years of continuous and progressive experience in design of transportation projects
- Thorough understanding of the AASHTO Policy on Geometric Design of Highways and Streets
- Advanced level proficiency or higher in use of AutoCAD and Civil 3D
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office with strong skills in Excel
- Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Self-starter with strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment
- Flexibility and ability to work effectively on multiple concurrent projects, meeting established timelines
- Must be proficient in reading and understanding surveys, drawings, and legal descriptions.
- Candidates will be asked to provide references and sample projects.
- Familiarity with CDOT standards and procedures a plus.
- Previous experience in application of standards and design criteria to transportation projects.
- Ability to mentor less experienced design engineers.
Office environment, sitting at computer work station for extended periods. Overtime may be required periodically.
Rocksol is committed to maintaining a drug-free workplace. All candidates are required to participate in drug and alcohol screening prior to and throughout the duration of their employment.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Minorities/Female/Veteran/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity