Location: Vancouver, BC, CA
With a strong history of innovation for over 100 years, Teck is Canada’s largest diversified natural resource company looking to embark on its next chapter.
Being part of the RACE21™ team, you’ll be leading the charge of a company-wide renewal of technology and infrastructure – a high-tech transformation of mining into the next generation.
With the financial backing and commitment from our leadership, we envision a fully-integrated agile digital platform that will:
- Renew, Automate, and Connect material, processes, equipment flows, and data systems to expand and enable a broad application of advanced analytics, robotics, and artificial intelligence
- Empower our employees by investing in digital skills and capabilities to enhance creativity and innovation – increasing sustainability, safety, and performance in real time, unlocking resource base knowledge and improving planning for optimal resource extraction
We are world-class leaders in sustainability and safety – and we are building a better world for the next generation with lasting competitive advantages, from 2021 and beyond.
Reporting to the Manager of Technology, the Data Developer, RACE21™ is responsible for ingesting, transforming, and storing clean and enriched data, ready for processing. They will design, model, and maintain data warehouses and data marts, and structure volumes of data: making them useful for digital products, data science, reporting, and analytics. They leverage data scientist code and make it enterprise and production ready. They maintain and configure data engineering and ETL tools, such as ODI, DataServices, and SSIS.
- Be a courageous safety leader, adhere to and sponsor safety and environmental rules and procedures
- Improve the data availability by acting as a liaison between Business Intelligence (BI) teams and source systems
- Collect, blend, and transform data using ETL tools, database management system tools, and code development, such as SQL, Java, and C
- Implement data models and structure data in ready-for BI consumption formats
- Perform aggregation on data across various warehousing models, such as OLAP cubes and star schemas for BI purposes
- Interact with BI teams and structure date for consumption
- Computer Science degree or equivalent education and experience
- Minimum three years of experience with data analysis and preparation, including considerable experience with very large data sets of unstructured data related to Business Intelligence
- Strong understanding of Agile methodologies
- Experience as a data engineer on an agile team preferred
- Mastery of SQL scripting
- Basic understanding of R, Python, and Java
- Strong experience in database development and data modeling
- Solid business and collaboration skills, and responsive to service needs and operational demands
- Passionate about technology and excited about the impact of emerging and disruptive technologies
- Self-starter and would thrive in an environment that fosters entrepreneurial minds
- Believes in culture of transparency and trust
- Open to learning new ideas outside scope or knowledge skillset
- Ability to travel to our sites in British Columbia 5% of the time
At Teck, we value diversity. Our teams work collaboratively and respect each person’s unique perspective and contribution.
Qualified applicants interested in joining a dynamic team are encouraged to submit a resume and cover letter electronically.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Your application to this posting is deemed to be your consent to the collection, use and necessary disclosure of personal information for the purposes of recruitment. Teck respects the privacy of all applicants and the confidentiality of personal information.
Teck is a diversified resource company committed to responsible mining and mineral development with major business units focused on copper, steelmaking coal, zinc and energy. Headquartered in Vancouver, Canada, its shares are listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbols TECK.A and TECK.B and the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol TECK.
The pursuit of sustainability guides Teck’s approach to business. Teck is building partnerships and capacity to confront sustainability challenges within the regions in which it operates and at the global level. In 2019, Teck was named to the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index (DJSI) for the tenth straight year, indicating that Teck’s sustainability practices rank in the top 10 per cent of the world’s 2,500 largest public companies in the S&P Global Broad Market Index.
Learn more about Teck at www.teck.com or follow @TeckResources
Job Segment: Database, Engineer, Social Media, Computer Science, Technology, Engineering, Marketing, Mining
Job Type: Full-time