OVERVIEW OF CHALLENGES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Responsible for all aspects of the company’s engineering activities including hardware, software, automation, manufacturing, facilities, as well as IT, the Vice President of Engineering will focus on the structuring and operation of the engineering function as a cohesive unit; the conceptualization and day-to-day management of simultaneous projects; delivering product designs to agreed specifications within time and budget constraints, and the fostering of innovative solutions to cater to internal and external customer needs
- With a responsibility of 5 direct reports, build the team with talented individuals that fit technically and culturally
- Prioritize and direct engineering schedule - balancing the creation of new functionality, immediate needs of existing customers, and augmentation and management of architecture and infrastructure
- Possess a comprehensive understanding of the market and the technical implementation so as to be able to speak to feasibility versus opportunity of company direction and pivots
- Drive and augments the engineering process with primary goals of predictability, stability, and visibility
- Experienced at delivering commercial manufacturing products at scale and a framework for making impactful technical decisions
- Establish a culture of quality where verification/validation occur at every step
- Drive an architecture that facilitates quality and a process that enforces it
- Empower engineers to innovate while providing technical expertise/targeted questions to make a decision that is best for the business
- Must have a willingness to make educated but potentially difficult decisions
- Ensure engineers understands business direction and how individual work facilitates end goals
- Ensure company at large understands the needs of engineering
- Leverage intrinsic motivation to further both the individual and the business
- Retain key hires
Paving The Way to Life Sciences Innovations, Faster
Science matters. Whether it is a researcher seeking a cure to cancer, a biotech startup working on breakthrough in bioengineering and SynBio or a student developing a life changing understanding of biology, science shapes our lives. With this as the cornerstone of our focus and with our relentless commitment to maintaining the highest standards of Good Manufacturing Practices, we create a suite of top tier customizable products of the highest quality and integrity allowing researchers, scientists and technologists around the world to achieve their goals faster and more efficiently. Our customcapabilities and fast turn-around time are unparalleled in the market place.
Supporting the Life Sciences R&D Community with Unmatched Solutions
The development of therapeutic proteins and biologics is a long and complex process that frequently requires the use of customized buffers and reagents to optimize and stabilize performance. It is an iterative process wherein buffer formulations are modified until performance specifications are obtained. Prior to Teknova, companies typically had to modify their own buffers because the existing biotech supply companies had high minimums and long lead times, both of which were impediments to a rapid optimization process. Seeing this opportunity, Teknova has developed an innovative manufacturing system that allows it to create the required documentation and begin manufacturing novel products in a matter of days. To achieve this we have created software and hardware specific to this task and continue to do so as the business scales.
TEKnova was established in 1996 and has been profitable since the beginning. Registered with the FDA and ISO 13485 certified, Teknova supports the Pharmaceutical and Biotech communities from R&D phase to manufacturing and commercial stage by providing expertise in high quality products ranging from bench top research to cGMP certified buffers and media for diagnostics, drug development and bioproduction needs.
With the protein expression market valued at USD 1,654.0 Million in 2017 and expected to expand at a CAGR of 11.5% to reach US$ 3,500 Million in 2024, TEKnova is well positioned for growth and offers a comprehensive suite of protein expression host systems such as Yeast, Mammalian Cells, Algae, Insect, Bacterial Growth, Cell-Free and Animal-Free plates and media.
Teknova is strategically located in Hollister, Ca., about 50 miles south of San Jose in Silicon Valley; the heart of advanced technology and innovation for the world. 20 miles to the south lies the Salinas Valley which is rapidly becoming a new hub for global agricultural biotechnology.
It is the site of the annual Forbes AgTech Summit. The Hollister Airport is the home of the Google / KittyHawk project where they are developing the autonomous airtaxi CORA, Construction is about to begin in this region on a massive testing facility for the DOT certification of autonomous vehicles. This project is rumored to be a joint venture between Tesla, Apple, and Google and will eventually become the site for world-wide vehicle certification. Teknova is located in the heart of this emerging economic engine.
Benefiting from advances in DNA research, genetic engineering and genomics, the company has been growing at over 40% and the workforce has doubled in 2017 with now over 120 employees. Among the top 3 players on the market and are competing with brand names like ThermoFisher, BioMerieux, Sigma-Aldrich, Lonza. The client base is made up of research labs within large pharmaceutical companies like Johnson & Johnson, Pfizer, Bristol Meyers, Genentech, and others and the company also does private labeling for some customers.
The core competency of Teknova is it’s unique ablity to manufacture custom products at scales ranging from microliters to thousands of liters with unmatched speed of execution and GMP quality. From the time Teknova receives the specifications from a client, products can be out the door in a matter of days. TEKnova is Federal Express’s largest customers in the county with its number of daily shipments. None of this would be achieve however without a very robust culture and strong core values. Hence at the heart of the company’s success resides a firm determination to develop its employees and create an environment that promotes a WOW effect. The company encourages its people to reach their highest potential and in doing so to embrace change, to be adventurous, creative and open minded while being kind, cultivating honest relationships and remaining humble. As the product differentiation resides not only in precision but also fast turn around time, there is a very strong emphasis on having a customer driven mindset. .
SKILLS & EXPERTISE
- BS in Engineering (mechanical, electrical, firmware, hardware, Computer Engineering/Science); Graduate Degree preferred
- Minimum of 15 years of experience in Manufacturing Engineering for custom design machines and equipment (reactors, fermentation tanks, robots, autoclaves)
- Expertise in programmable logic controller and SCADA systems
- Fluent in electrical / CAD drawings
- Knowledge of Six Sigma and/or ISO process controls
- Experience in Biotech, Pharma, Cosmetic, Food and related regulated chemical industries (clean room, sterile requirements, GMP)
- Experience leading teams of hardware / software engineers across multi-sites within fast-paced, collaborative work environments
- An innovator, ideator that can understand business requirements and translate into the creation of sophisticated engineering solutions that can’t be purchased off the shelf
- Instinct for recognizing opportunities to invest in building the right thing for the long-term
- Able to work effectively under pressure to meet deadlines and to make progress with multiple projects and functional priorities simultaneously
- Able to demonstrate support for innovation and for organizational changes needed to improve the organization’s effectiveness; initiating, sponsoring, and implementing organizational change; helping others to successfully manage organizational change
- Develop and communicate goals in support of the business’ mission by setting clear goals and expectations, tracking progress against the goals, ensuring feedback, and addressing performance problems and issues promptly
- Develops, sponsors, or supports the introduction of new or improved hardware /software platforms across design, simulation and verification
- Strong understanding of manufacturing processes, identify bottlenecks, automate all manual steps
- Understands and deals well with rapid development cycles – projected 4-fold increase in capacity
- Ability to manage multiple projects and priorities and to re-prioritize as necessary to align with current business objectives
- Detail oriented and thorough, with ability to think “big picture” and understand the key trends and levers that drive the business
- Able to take calculated risks in the face of uncertainty
Comprehensive Medical, Dental, Vision
Group Life Insurance
401k Plan with Employer Matching
PTO and Paid Holidays
Continuous Learning Opportunities
Discounted Gym Membership and Walking Program
Giving Back to the Community
Equal Employment Opportunity