Designs, develops, and improves new or existing products and directs the building and testing of prototypes. Product Development Engineers determine the cost effective remanufacturing methods to meet customer needs, and assist in releasing products from Engineering to the Production Department.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Responsible for decisions regarding the manufacturability of and production of new product lines.
- Work with Production, Sales, and Materials to establish production standards.
- Work with customers and Materials Department in establishing Bill of Materials, replacement percentages, approval of suppliers/vendors, and part specifications.
- Communicates with Sales Department and customers to determine specific customer quality needs.
- Plans and directs the construction of prototypes to meet customer and internal requirements.
- Establishes test requirements if not previously specified by the customer, and develops and directs the testing of new-product prototypes to verify product reliability.
- Assists in the design and development of special testing machines.
- Coordinates with Quality, Production, Sales, and customers new product launches.
- Sets up new equipment, and ensures its satisfactory operation.
- Assists the engineering department in regard to product redesign to resolve product or production difficulties.
- Trains production personnel on new equipment operation and process.
- Recommends and implements new processes, controls, and manufacturing methods
- Stays informed concerning new manufacturing technology and equipment, and investigates their potential applications.Recommends incorporation of new technology for company applications where feasible and practical.
- Follows engineering process to ensure IATF 16949:2016 certification.
- Assists the Capital Budgeting process and evaluates new and potential capital equipment.
Work is performed mostly in a controlled atmosphere. Some exposure to harsh conditions for periods of time is possible.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential function of this job. While performing the duties of this position, the employee is regularly required to walk, stand, use hands to finger, handle or feel; reach with hands and arms climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl and talk and hear. Sitting 70%, standing/walking 30%. Frequently lift and or move up to 20 pounds and 50 pounds occasionally.
SKILL/ KNOWLEDGE/ ABILITY/ EDUCATION/ EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
- BS/BA in Engineering, Manufacturing Technology or related discipline.
- Five (5) years of experience in Manufacturing Engineering or Product Development.
- Five (5) years of Manufacturing experience.
- Knowledgeable concerning mechanical principles, machining practices, the properties of metals, and the application of mathematics and dimensions to production machinery and tooling.
- Able to mentally visualize and comprehend all aspects of a manufacturing equipment or tooling problem, understand the interrelationships of factors affecting a given situation, and be attentive to detail.
- Capable of efficiently integrating existing methods with new innovations to economically solve production problems in a timely manner.
- Experience working within a Quality System; IATF 16949 preferred
- Strong technical knowledge of Marine and Automotive powertrain products.
- Experience in product flow, plant layout, assembly/machining equipment and continuous improvement systems.
- Excellent verbal and written communication and presentation skills.
- Must have the ability to multi-task by balancing/prioritizing 5-10 projects/cases at any given time.
- Requires effective relationship management skills with co-workers in a team environment and with customers/prospects in a engineering sales and support context.
- Requires effective time management skills, personal conduct, and change management abilities.
- Requires the desire to expand personal competencies and capabilities through training and education.
- Computer literacy/experience required.Must be proficient in Windows environments.Working knowledge of word processing, PowerPoint, spreadsheets, e-mail, and Web-enabled applications.