About Pinpoint Software
Thank you for considering this position. We think you'll find it's a pretty cool job.
Our company was created to solve a single problem: how do you make sure there aren't expiring products on the shelves of grocery stores?
Our product Date Check Pro was the solution. By helping grocery stores focus on the subset of items on their shelves that may be expiring, it revolutionized what had previously been an ineffective random process.
Date Check Pro has been in use since July 2011, and our fully redesigned version 2.0 was launched in January 2018 and is now in use in hundreds of stores across the US. This version includes a new, guided UI/UX, integration with store data to make informed recommendations, user performance tracking, and more. We are passionate about providing an excellent level of customer service and strive to understand and meet the needs of our users.
Currently, we are a small, agile team of 4 full-time employees, but growing rapidly with our team set to more than double in size in the next few months. Our Lead Developer is our only internal developer, while we utilize a few local third-party development partners as needed. We are looking for someone able to work full time out of our Madison, WI office. We place a high value on in-person collaboration within the team and between departments, so we are firm on commitment to only hire those able to work in office (not remote).
We are seeking a PHP developer to provide support on our flagship product Date Check Pro. We made significant architectural and UX improvements in the new version, and continue to add features regularly to support the needs of our growing customer base.
Version 2.0 consists of an API layer and a front end app. As a new hire, you would be responsible for writing PHP scripts to import and update data while building familiarity with the project structure, with the eventual goal of new feature development.
Our API is a classic LAMP stack, built with the Laravel framework in PHP 7. We are leveraging Robert Martin's 'Clean Architecture' to make sure the code is as flexible as possible, and utilizing asynchronous command concepts to maximize future scalability. Although we do not currently practice TDD, we maintain a unit test coverage of over 98% and adhere to PHP coding standards.
As we are a very small team, a high degree of flexibility and a desire to learn is a must. You would be working directly with the Lead Developer to handle customer requests, fix bugs, and develop new features as needed. If you are a self starter with a passion for writing clean code, you may be an excellent fit!
Your Responsibilities Would Include:
- Writing and debugging PHP and MySQL
- Interacting with Git repositories
- Setting up and running a developer environment
- Monitoring incoming requests from the customer service team
- Prioritizing tasks as needed
- Implementing, testing, and documenting new features
- Engaging in code reviews
Skills & Requirements
Our ideal candidate is good at solving problems, comfortable working alone or with a team, and a quick learner. We are okay with you being unfamiliar with parts of our stack or not having years of experience on a resume, but we do require a basic knowledge of the following:
- PHP 7
- Relational Databases / MySQL
- RESTful API Concepts
- Object Oriented Programming / SOLID Code Principles
While not required, familiarity with any of the following is a plus:
- Laravel or other PHP frameworks
- Vagrant (we use Laravel Homestead for our dev environment)
- Unit Testing
- Linux, SSH
- Server Side Security
- Oauth 2
- Clean Code principles
- Asynchronous command structures
Benefits & Perks
- Salary, Paid Semi-Monthly
- Competitive medical, dental, and vision coverage
- 100% employer funded short & long-term disability coverage
- 15 days of PTO along with 9 corporate holidays
- Ability to work from home on Tuesdays and Thursdays
- A pinball machine for when you really need a break
If this position sounds like a good fit, we look forward to hearing from you!
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $55,000.00 to $65,000.00 /year
- 2820 Walton Commons Lane, Madison, WI (Required)
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Paid time off
This Company Describes Its Culture as:
- Team-oriented -- cooperative and collaborative
- Outcome-oriented -- results-focused with strong performance culture
- Innovative -- innovative and risk-taking
This Job Is:
- A job for which military experienced candidates are encouraged to apply
- Open to applicants who do not have a college diploma
- A job for which all ages, including older job seekers, are encouraged to apply
- A job for which people with disabilities are encouraged to apply