Hecla Lucky Friday Mine is recruiting individuals who embrace advances in technology and who are looking for an opportunity to be part of a collaborative team.
The Geotechnical Engineer provides technical expertise and support through geotechnical engineering activities to the mining operation.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES – Other duties may be assigned.
· Monitor and report on seismic activity at the mine, as well as provide guidance to mine operations.
· Responsible for review of plans and providing expertise in order to apply rock mechanics to underground mine engineering designs.
· Participate in various ground support, modelling and planning projects.
· Provide geotechnical engineering expertise, support, and review.
· Prepare geomechanical and seismic risk assessments.
· Monitor and oversee quality control and testing programs.
· Monitor the operation and effectiveness of the seismic monitoring system and protocols.
· Install, maintain, read & interpret geotechnical instrument monitoring systems, including seismic monitoring instruments.
· Perform rock bolt pull testing.
· Prepare and present reports.
· Assist with annual review of the ground control management plan.
· Work with external organizations to conduct investigations and research.
· Manage contractors and consultants.
· Participates in the development of Standard Operating Procedures.
· Assist with forecasts, budgets, and funding requests.
· Assist with site geotechnical training.
· Make recommendations for research and development initiatives.
· Required to respond to seismic alerts and events during off hours when designated on-call.
· Bachelor’s degree in Geotechnical Engineering, Mining Engineering, or other relevant technical discipline. Preference will be given to those candidates with a degree in Geotechnical Engineering.
· Professional Engineer designation preferred.
· Experience in mining, metallurgy or mineral processing industry or similar relevant experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
· Understanding of mining methodology, mining equipment, hydrology, and geotechnical engineering.
· Ability to perform technical audits, review complex engineering plans, evaluate geological data, and review engineering and economic fundamentals supporting operations and exploration.
· Computer skills include proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Power Point, & MS Project) and basic skills with AutoCAD. Formal training for AutoCAD or Civil3D software is a plus.
· Familiar with rock mechanics software.
· Must be able to conduct 3D design modeling.
· Good interpersonal and communications skills.
· Being a self-starter is essential.
· Detail-orientated and ability to multi-task.
· Good organizational/planning skills.
· Good analytical and statistical skills.
About Hecla and the Lucky Friday Mine
The Lucky Friday Mine is a deep underground silver, lead, and zinc mine located one mile east of the town of Mullan in the Coeur d’Alene Mining District in northern Idaho. The Lucky Friday has been owned and operated by Hecla Mining Company, headquartered in Coeur d’Alene, Idaho, since 1958. Established in 1891 in one of the world’s most prolific silver-producing districts, northern Idaho’s Silver Valley, Hecla Mining Company’s rich history of mining has distinguished it as a respected precious metals producer. Hecla is the oldest U.S.-based precious metals mining company in North America and the largest producer of silver in the U.S. Headquartered in Coeur d’Alene, Idaho, with a sister office in Vancouver, B.C., our international, publicly traded company is over 125 years old.
Hecla Limited, Lucky Friday Mine is pleased to offer competitive compensation commensurate with education and experience, and a comprehensive benefits program that includes health & welfare, income protection, paid time off and retirement plans for employees, including medical, dental, and vision coverage for eligible dependents.
Interested candidates must possess authorization to work in the United States.
Hecla Limited, Lucky Friday Mine is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Visit our website at www.hecla-mining.com for more information about Hecla and the Lucky Friday Mine.'
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $59,000.00 - $84,000.00 per year
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Health savings account
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Professional development assistance
- Relocation assistance
- Retirement plan
- Tuition reimbursement
- Vision insurance
- 10 hour shift
- Day shift
- On call
Proof of COVID vaccination required upon employment.
- Professional Engineer (Preferred)
Work Location: One location